Public dog training

I have a young Griffon I'd like to get out in some prairie and CRP to get her nose on new scent. It seems that nearly all public land, whether it's DNR, forest preserves or city parks, has leash laws. I found an area at Rock Cut SP and a Winnebago County FP that have dog training areas. Are there others in Northern Illinois that I'm missing?

Welcome to UPH. why dont you post an introduction at the top. some one will be along to answer your question soon.:)

Last edited:
I have a young Griffon I'd like to get out in some prairie and CRP to get her nose on new scent. It seems that nearly all public land, whether it's DNR, forest preserves or city parks, has leash laws. I found an area at Rock Cut SP and a Winnebago County FP that have dog training areas. Are there others in Northern Illinois that I'm missing?

If your in Northern Illinois, you might want to look into getting a dog training permit at Bong Rec area just across the border in WI.

Hey Pete. Maybe this can help. http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/programs/dogtrain/Dtpublic.htm#Site

Also, keep in mind--birds are still on their nests, or with very young chicks this time of year. Dogs can catch them with ease or disturb nests so it's best to wait it out until late summer/September.:)

Most public areas (if they allow dog work) won't allow it until later in the season.

Good luck:cheers:

Nick

Back