Private land in KS

HUNTIN4FUN

I posted this in the main forum but thought that it would be best here. I am currently deployed to Iraq but stationed at Ft. Riley and I got there late in the year and wasn't able to really go door to door asking for permission. Just wondering if anyone may know of some good places i.e. counties or parts of the state where it would be good to ask for permission to hunt private land. I hunted public/wiha areas last season with marginal success at best. I am a conservative respecting sportsman that leaves the land as good as I found it, with the exception of a few less birds on a good day. I always pick my shot shells up and don't track up the land. I don't mean to sound like a begger so I will shut up now. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for anything you can do.

If your still in the Fort Riley area I had a blast there the past two years. Send a email I can give you some inside knowledge where I had success and saw a lot of birds this spring/summer. I just moved from Riley to APG, MD. ALso, had good success on some spots on Milford.

Hunting in Kansas

Also, get the walk-in hunting atlas from the KDWP (Kansas Dept. of Wildlife and Parks). Can be downloaded from its website. I also heard Milford was good but I've never hunted there. Just going west and north from Ft. Riley puts you in some of the better counties for pheasant hunting. Have a great season and best wishes in returning safe and sound.

I have gained access to thousands of acres of private land in south central and southwest Kansas by knocking on doors and politely asking if we could hunt on their land. Many say no but others are willing to share their land. It always helps that it is a father/son hunt in our case. I have also offered mechanical services for land access. Spending a couple of hours fixing something that they could not get to and chatting with them is always rewarding.

Once we are done hunting I always send a thank you note to them and try to send a package of something to show we appreciated meeting them and hope to see them next year. If they are in a area that has decent delivery services they find some Texas peaches on their porch with a picture of my son and I on their land having a good time.

In your case I would suggest placing an add in some of the small town papers such as Hugoton, Lakin, Deerfield, Meade, etc stating you are a returning vet looking for private land to hunt on. I would think you would receive some replies and some invites to opening day. There is no harm in asking. The worst is they will say no, well maybe if you catch them on a bad day they may chase you off.

Back