Pretty dismal season so far

Hunthemup

Spent the last 2 1/2 day weekend chasing pheasants in SW Nebraska. And chasing is the key word. Very hot, bird numbers are way down. I was told that the first hash was very limited due to the drought conditions and they had a second hash which is the birds mostly seen but young ones. Anyway we hunted private and walk-in fields and 4 birds total in 2 1/2 days among 3 of us and a great GSP. She hunted hard but afternoon were spent scouting until about an hour before end of shooting time. I don't expect a big difference this weekend in Colorado's opener.
Hope for better weather, snow on the ground and more birds next time out.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 13
We all want more but are appreciative for what we get. Hang in there and stay after them. Not too many of us do this to feed our families fortunately!
Nice picture!

You are right UplandHntr - It has never been about the count but the opportunity of being outdoors, watching good dog work and the friendship.
We have on many occasions have come back home with just a couple of birds & sometimes none but very content and sore muscles. :)
Next time out is another adventure. Be Safe

You are right UplandHntr - It has never been about the count but the opportunity of being outdoors, watching good dog work and the friendship.
We have on many occasions have come back home with just a couple of birds & sometimes none but very content and sore muscles. :)
Next time out is another adventure. Be Safe
That's true for sure.Getting obsessed with limiting out every day is a misnomer. It's about the pursuit, and experience.

I also believe that the Colorado season will be pretty unspectacular in terms of the number of pheasants and quail encountered out there this year. The adventure and fun of the pursuit from a day afield is wonderful, nonetheless. I do want at least a couple of contacts a day to keep me from getting too discouraged.

Back