Preserve Quail Hunt

Amoz87

Hello all,

I am going on a preserve quail hunt with a buddy of mine who has never bird hunted before in two weeks. I have always pheasant hunted but I dont have any experience with quails. I am not quite sure what gauge to bring. I have a 16 gauge, 20 gauge, a 28 and a 410. Very lucky to be able to have them. shoot them all pretty much on the regular (except the 20, never really was crazy for it.) Does anyone have any suggestions on gauge? I know it is really an unfortunate problem to have haha. Thanks all

I like to use my 20 when I hunt preserve quail but I think any of your choices would be fine if you shoot well with the gun. The quail will fly different than pheasants though. They will not get as high and shots over the dog might be a challenge at times. They also have trouble flying if they get a little wet. Good luck and have fun.

28ga with 3/4oz of 7.5 or 8 shot is my go to quail combo, good luck.

Bird damage

Went to 20ga field load 8's years ago to minimize damage to birds for ALL quail hunting/shooting. Anything smaller even better.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Any one ever use a 410 or am I pushing my luck?

Quail present a very small and fast target, if you don't have a lot of practice hunting quail I would go with a gun that throws a bigger pattern.:thumbsup:

410 on quail

I'm a pretty fair shot. Went to a preserve some years ago and took a .410 double, just to check it out. Fired 12 times, hit one bird.

You gotta be both fast and dead on with a .410.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ended up taking the 28. Glad I did. It was really a lot of fun. I was surprised how hard the little 28 gauge hits. Also it was so nice to carry. Have a good one gents

I'm glad you had a good time.:cheers: Did you take any pics to share with us?

Back