Preserve Hunting in March?

Anybody ever squeeze in some extra hunting time at some of the SD preserves that can remain open until 3/31?

Only got to SD once this fall and would consider getting the dog another quick 2-day trip before the end of the month if the time & opportunity worked out.

I'm assuming there is likely way less traffic at these places during this time of year and they might allow a solo hunter on the property?

Has to be mostly wild birds, correct? I'm guessing pretty much all released birds are released for the fall hunters and that activity is no longer happening.

A little conflicted about the very real possibility of shooting wild roosters after the season ends just because of the extended season loop hole. At the same time I feel like from a biological standpoint taking roosters would have pretty much no impact on breeding/nesting success. Probably the biggest issue for me would be disturbing hens who could be weak from winter stress and what effect that might have even given this years mild weather.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Anybody ever squeeze in some extra hunting time at some of the SD preserves that can remain open until 3/31?

Only got to SD once this fall and would consider getting the dog another quick 2-day trip before the end of the month if the time & opportunity worked out.

I'm assuming there is likely way less traffic at these places during this time of year and they might allow a solo hunter on the property?

Has to be mostly wild birds, correct? I'm guessing pretty much all released birds are released for the fall hunters and that activity is no longer happening.

A little conflicted about the very real possibility of shooting wild roosters after the season ends just because of the extended season loop hole. At the same time I feel like from a biological standpoint taking roosters would have pretty much no impact on breeding/nesting success. Probably the biggest issue for me would be disturbing hens who could be weak from winter stress and what effect that might have even given this years mild weather.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

if you are going to hunt on a preserve, you are going to pay per bird and you will be shooting at pen raised birds for the most part......that's what a preserve is all about. they aren't going to let you on to "sweep up" any leftover or wild birds for free!

Preserve Hunting

I wouldn't worry about disturbing the hens they don't start nesting until late April or May plus a mild winter. A rooster can service up to 15 hens so as long as there are wild birds left the hens will be taken care of. On preserves you will pay as stated above and with the weather lately this would be a great time to go. The geese are migrating north so you could get in a goose hunt if you have steel shot and the license. RLH

Preserve

Call Eddie at Dickie Smith Hunting Preserve at (605) 520-5021 he is South of Clark, SD and has plenty of birds. RLH

Back