Pre season scouting & training

Tucker

Headed to NW Kansas with my dad and 2 pups, my 6 mo old yellow lab and his 10 mo shorthair this past weekend. Area got heavy wet snow last week along with lotsa rain the previous week or two. Roads were a mess, had to be real careful which ones to down. All the corn still standing with several inches of standing water next to the roads.

Saw a few birds here and there. Took both pups their seperate ways thru the fields. My dads had a rooster get right up in front of her and scared the hell out her. After that things started to click. She started to catch the scent and got up several more birds As for mine he had several birds get up in front of him from 10-15 feet away. When he caught fresh scent he would go nuts. We were able to keep both pups in fairly close fot their 1st time out in the field. Both of us are pretty happy on how things turned out.

Looking forward to a great season!

What county or area

Where at in the NW. The reason I ask is not to find your spot but that Is where im headed for opening weekend. So I'm just curious about the rain and standing corn? A buddy of mine who farms out there said all of their corn should be out by opening weekend

Thanks for the report Sir. A few birds here and there doesn't make it sound like you saw the #'s KDWP's report suggests. Maybe you're just trying to keep people out of NW on the opener (good thinkin'). It is nice to hear all the reports from all the proud pup owners out there. My dad and I just got 2 pups out of the same litter, so we're about to enjoy the same experience. Again, thanks for sharing.

We honestly did not see that many birds. We walked the fields Fri. afternoon, Sat. afternoon and Sun. morning and we saw 12-14 ea day. One field we did drive by both Friday & Saturday we saw 40 or so birds from the road. The fellow that owns it entered it into some type government program a couple years ago and will not let anybody hunt it. He let us hunt it the year before he entered the program and it is just loaded with birds. As for the #'s I think it was a combination of the roads and the corn. The majority of roads were in really bad shape. We almost got stuck in the 1st half hour we were there so we were really limited to certain areas. There is also a ton of corn out there. One farmer we talked to said the corn itself was on schedule to be picked it was just a matter when they could get into the fields.

Back