Prarie Storm

I've been using Prairie Storm 5s & 4s since last season. I like them, they hit hard and we have experienced no cycling issues in our autos (my wife shoots a Beretta A300 and among several shotguns I use is a Winchester SX4). we use Carlson's Extended Steel Chokes (modified) and they do shoot tight out to 30 yards but are pretty much what the doctor ordered from 30-50. My go-to pheasant load is Federal Premium Upland Short Magnum 4s and through the same choke, they aren't quite as tight. I also tried them through Carlson's Prairie Storm Extended chokes in my Franchi Instinct L. Those are "Early Season" (LM) and "Late Season" (IM) chokes. In my humble opinion the Long Range PS choke with PS loads is almost too tight for under 40 yards and the Close Range is a pretty good all around choke. That being said, your results may vary...

Last edited:
Love them, very effective at longer ranges with right choke. I prefer #5 2-3/4 inch. Does leave a lot of powder residue, but cleans up easy with a snake or run a gun club trap shell through each barrel.

I've used 3in 20ga #4 Prairie Storm for years on pheasants. They kill birds. The only odd thing I've found is that I've never found one of the belted (saturn shaped) pellets in a bird. Only the copper plated, round, lead pellets. Makes me wonder if the belted pellets become "fliers" quickly out of the barrel, which might be good for a close shot, but these days, at least for me, most shots on pheasants are 30yds +.

My “go to” on pheasant... they absolutely pummel birds! I shoot them out of a beretta 12 and 20. I use only an IC or skeet choke.

I like a mod or IC depending on the conditions but think that the
Hevishot Hevi Bismuth is absolutely the best upland load that
I have ever used. They are what truly "pummel's" pheasants.

Back