Prairie Storm Issue

It's not just the pellets. The big difference in the two are the wads. PS uses the Flightcontrol Flex wad. That wad does not open like a standard wad causing a much denser pettern. IMO it is too dense for the vast majority of shots taken at pheasants even with a more open choke.

Thanks. Good info. I've personally never had an issue with it and I used the Upland Load for years prior without issue too. I could see why a close shot might turn a bird into hamburger though.

Would like to give them a try but we don't see them on the shelf out here in SW ND. I was at Scheels in Bismarck last week, there were only 5 boxes of 12 gauge B&P nestled in the shelves full of Fiocchi, Kent, and Federal. They were on sale as well, so I took that to mean Scheels might not be carrying them this year.
Online at Buds Gun Shop, $18.99 box for 1oz #5

I have been using PS exclusively for the last 8 to 10 years - when I could get them. Never had a single issue with the shells, except occasionally finding them on the shelf.
Usually shoot 2 3/4 lead, 3-inch steel on rare occasions when required.
Lots of variables at play, experience, age, dogs, etc. but PS performs the best of any shell I've used for the last 30 years chasing pheasants.
Far fewer lost hit birds. I try not to shoot at a rooster under say 25-30 yards. Don't remember any birds blown to pieces.
Don't remember jammed shells.
Long as I can find them, all I'll ever shoot. No issues thus far, just better results.

My issue is not with PS it’s more with Federal. Their shells where I bit more expensive than most but the alway offered the rebate. After ‘20 seemed to be a shortage and the prices went up. Made me look for alternative shell and brands. Had success with Kent, B&P and other lower priced shells. Now when I see Federal shells in the upper $20s I don’t get excited at all. I’d be interested to know if guys are brand loyal or more interested in price? Do they sell more shells to avid hunters or weekend hunters looking for the cool box and higher price looking for guaranteed success. That bird with a wad in it is not a PS issue, it’s a dude who shot a bird at 10 yards with a hot load and got lucky and hit it with the wad. I hit a bird last year where I shot the whole back and neck off and gutted it. Not PS just a hot shell shot to close. Not a single bb in the breast but very gross. My reward for my quick reflexes was I got to carry that bloody mess in my vest. Seems that the Pheasant Max shells are alway at a reasonable price. Might have to check those out.

Now when I see Federal shells in the upper $20s I don’t get excited at all. I’d be interested to know if guys are brand loyal or more interested in price? Do they sell more shells to avid hunters or weekend hunters looking for the cool box and higher price looking for guaranteed success.

I don't go through boxes and boxes of shells each season. But I've definitely noticed a price increase on the ammo I prefer. I've seen it go from about 12/box when it first came out to nearly 30/box nowadays. Its not just bird shells though, its pretty much all ammo across the board. The rifle ammo I use for deer hunting is up to 50/box of 20. Luckily I only go through about 1-2 rounds of those each season.

If I was going through a lot more ammo, then I'd be inclined to watch the price. I only hunt about 7-10 times/season because that's all I have time for.

I can't put my finger on it but I have so much confidence in PS as a shooter. I have made some shots that have stoned roosters that even made me scratch my head. I definitely use a lighter load early in the season but for late season roosters I switch to PS. I would have never guessed on my experience that others would not like them. I fell in love with them prior to Covid when I was pulling them off the shelves with a list price of $15.99 a box and federal was running a $5 rebate per box. I really like the Pheasant Max shells as well.

My 20ga. Orion (owned for 40 years now) shoots lead 6s and better yet 7.5s (great for ruffed grouse).

Never has patterned lead #4 or Steel shot #4 and larger very well.

In my 12ga. I also prefer the "orange box" Federals in #5.

I was watching a podcast the other day I thought it was kind of interesting, Rob Robert’s was on and was talking about his R2 chokes and how they were designed as a wad stripper. He was saying that in development that they were taking factory chokes and roughing up the inside with a file to slow down the wad and that in almost every case it would throw a more uniform pattern. And according to him a ported wad stripping choke will pull at the wad a little bit differently with each shot and that the pattern will tend to wander.
I’m not roughing up my chokes or buying a 140 dollar choke tube but it was interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Back