Prairie chickens

It's been many years, but the only way I've had them was with cream of mushroom soup & a bunch of onions & other stuff in a crock pot. Quite good, but everything ends up tasting pretty much the same that way.
As for grilling, it sounds like maybe you just treat them like waterfowl. Some people swear by medium rare, but I'm not in that camp. I go light medium. Marinate over night & WRAP IN BACON.
Grill to just barely medium. My favorite duck/goose marinade is McCormick's Mesquite marinade. Maybe someone could try it on sharpies/PC's & let me know what they think.
As to the rare/medium rare fowl, every chef I've ever seen/heard swears by it, at least for waterfowl. And it works. I just tell myself that if the wild bird I'm eating had anything bad in it, it would've died long before I shot it.

We have shot a lot of chickens and sharptail grouse in SD. Local told me to salt and pepper then grill to medium. This is absolutely outstanding way to cook these birds. I know rare fowl sounds crazy but my family and I have ate many this way, even my young kids love them.
That is new to me. Had a buddy cook up some sharptail and I'm not sure my dog would eat it, lol. Sounds like we need to try again.

Had a buddy cook up some sharptail and I'm not sure my dog would eat it, lol
My dog won't eat a goose breast. And believe me there isn't much else the bottomless pit won't eat. All she did was lick it and then look at me.

I'm not real fond of wild turkey either but luckily I've found a home for it with a co-worker the past couple times I've filled my tag.

Gimruis, I have another buddy who cooks up Goose and it is fabulous. I will try and send you the recipe. You first have to marinate in Kosher Salt for 24 hours, before using regular marinate. Marinate again 24 hours, sliced long ways 1" strips, wrap in bacon, grill over charcoal rare to med rare. Great Taste.

We used to shoot quite a few outa our duck blinds in the early 90s here in KS. A big pond I used to hunt was in the flight path of several very large flocks. Those chickens are gone now. Not a bird around that area any longer.

Fort Pierre is the place to hunt them early in the season. Hunter there about 5 years ago and we saw quite a few birds. Certainly more than kansas these days.

Back