Prairie Chickens & Sharptails

Doc Holiday

I posted this up on the Kansas Site but am interested to see what yall have to say. I have not killed either bird they are on my list to harvest. How has the hunting been for these birds.

Also I have gotten mixed reviews on the quality of table fair they provide what do yall think??

If you travel to the Fort Pierre Grasslands area in South Dakota or the Nebraska Sandhills area you can hunt both species on the same day. I believe these are the only two areas where easily huntable populations of both birds exist in the same local.

I have only hunted sharptail with any regularity and have chased them mid to late season when they can be very spooky. Most who hunt them seriously will chase them in September and early October when they are easier to approach. This is of course before pheasant season opens so it would eliminate the chance of any combo rooster hunt.

I've been lit up before on the board for saying this but the sharptail I've eaten can be pretty tasty if you treat it like a good piece of beef. Soak for a day in a stout beef type marinade and grill to no more than medium rare. Serve with garlic mashed potato's and a good pale ale and in my book that's pretty good eats. Sharptail doesn't taste very good if you cook it to death like many of your typical pheasant recipes call for.

I also see you posted this on the Kansas forum and just an FYI Kansas has plenty of areas to chase PC but no sharptail grouse.

DB

Back