Prairie Chicken!

cedahm

Was amazed to flush and harvest the first Prairie Chicken I've ever seen in the wild yesterday in Sedgwick Co.

I'd actually made a comment last weekend when we were in SD that we should cross the river some time to try and get on some chickens. To be lucky enough to see or harvest one in CO was not something I ever expected. Sadly, #4 pheasant loads and my buddies young lab combined to do a number on the left side, so no taxidermy is forthcoming, but it will tie some nice wet flies for sure.

https://flic.kr/p/PyBcTr

Congratulations!

I saw chickens twice during my hunt last weekend. I could not get closer than 200 yards. Good job by you. I had the bird mounted before I started pursuing.

We flushed about 20 in range last season (January 2016) and couldn't figure out what the hell just happened. Luckily we did not shoot as season closes January 1...which by the way is a weird date to close the season, especially since the limit is 2 birds PER SEASON.

Saw 5 fly over I-76 east of Sterling in October...maybe one day I'll get a shot at one :)

Nice bird! Congratulations.:thumbsup:

Thanks, all. I was impressed with myself that I was able to identify it and make a good shot in short order.

Having spent 4 days in South Dakota the week before, looking at lots and lots of hen pheasants, certainly sharpened my eye. White belly and barred wing feathers (and in retrospect of minds-eye, the tail) betrayed it. I think if this would have happened on my first day out, that sucker would have flown away unscathed and I'd be walking back to the truck saying "I think I flushed a prairie chicken"

My buddy was yelling 'HEN' from 50 yards away...he was shocked when I shot, until he walked over :)

Back