Prairie Chicken lottery

Bob Peters

Well, I went ahead and put my name in for the prairie chicken lottery. I don't know much about them, and I've never been to that part of the state at all(other than passing through on the interstate). If I get drawn my days I can hunt would be the last two days of the season.

Good luck Bob! This year will be my 10th or 11th year in a row applying. In my zone I typically get picked every other year but I've lucked out before haha I didn't get picked next year so I should this year. I love prairie chicken hunting, such a neat bird.

I applied for the first time as well. I've taken a lot of notes and done some research the last year on them. Made a little chart based off lek counts, previous years hunter success rate, hunter applications / permits available, public land available to try and determine which zone to start applying for.

I applied for the first time as well. I've taken a lot of notes and done some research the last year on them. Made a little chart based off lek counts, previous years hunter success rate, hunter applications / permits available, public land available to try and determine which zone to start applying for.
I'm gonna be honest, you are ahead of me in your research. That being said I have done some, and was lucky enough to get good advice on general habitat to look for from someone who has done it a long long long time in other states. Upland hunting has always been a challenge for me, and that's why I love it. Looking forward to chasing chickens whether it's this year or sometime in the future. If I get drawn and get to hunt I will post results here. And Brittman, I've heard the afternoons tend to be better times to hunt them. So I'll be ready for that wind!

For those here who applied, you should be getting info in the mail soon if you got selected. My notice came in the mail today informing me I was selected. There's usually a way to check online on the DNRs website but I struck out looking for it.

Just arrived at home. There was a letter from the DNR: Congratulations on Successful Draw. It is for my next door neighbor.

Mailman put it in the wrong box.

Grass will likely be shorter than most years. Unless rain hits the area well over the next month, be careful where you drive and park.

1630190177162.png

Just arrived at home. There was a letter from the DNR: Congratulations on Successful Draw. It is for my next door neighbor.

Mailman put it in the wrong box.
That's a bummer John. Surprised your neighbor is a chicken hunter. I don't think anyone I personally know outside of my hunting group has ever even thought about chickens.

And Brittman, it should be a good season for prairie birds. PF had a prairie grouse primer come out and for MN they said that nesting weather was good, they hayed on pieces of public that the DNR was planning on haying for Sharps and Chickens soon anyways and a few wildfires up there also furthered there goals of getting grasses mowed down a bit.

I'll certainly be providing everyone with a report of how I do.

I was up along and around some of those areas in May and June. Grass failed to grow early.

Much of the MN DNR land has also been going through prescribed burning over the past few years (thankfully). Some eight years ago or so ... it was really bad up there ... cedars were taking over everywhere.

Growing up hunting sharptails in ND ... I would agree that prairie grouse tend to have better nesting success and larger broods when the spring is on the dry side. Sharptails can especially tolerate low moisture - just look where they do best.

That's a bummer John. Surprised your neighbor is a chicken hunter. I don't think anyone I personally know outside of my hunting group has ever even thought about chickens.

And Brittman, it should be a good season for prairie birds. PF had a prairie grouse primer come out and for MN they said that nesting weather was good, they hayed on pieces of public that the DNR was planning on haying for Sharps and Chickens soon anyways and a few wildfires up there also furthered there goals of getting grasses mowed down a bit.

I'll certainly be providing everyone with a report of how I do.

My neighbor and son in law both drew.

My second year applying and I was fortunate to get drawn for a tag. This will be a new challenge, hunting chickens in MN.

What is the average amount of years does it take before you typically get drawn for a license)

With the prairie chicken season upon us, anyone else here get picked and heading to Chicken country this weekend?

I will be heading up early Saturday morning for zone 808. I had some success in SD for the opener Sat and Sun were in the mid 90's so were short days before it got to hot, but had a really good day on Monday.

Nice, I might bump into you up there haha it's my first hunt on the prairie this season so looking forward to it. I beat the grouse woods last weekend but nothing beats the prairies

Back