Poudre Canyon

homeradam

This is more of a big game question. I'll be heading down from Alaska to hunt deer in the Poudre Canyon. I've heard that the road is closed due to flood damage. Does anyone have any intel whether it's still closed and/or a prediction when it will open? Thanks.

It is open. There were a couple of spots which needed to be repaired, but they have been completed. There are also a couple of spots where it goes down to one lane, but the delay was less than 5 minutes.

Hunting was a little slow this year. Saw bucks each day I hunted and saw two herds of elk in an area that I've never seen them before (been hunting the Poudre for 35 years). I ended up taking a nice buck on the third day and several pheasants the following weekend.

Hunting was a little slow this year. Saw bucks each day I hunted and saw two herds of elk in an area that I've never seen them before (been hunting the Poudre for 35 years). I ended up taking a nice buck on the third day and several pheasants the following weekend.

Wait, wait, wait....you took several pheasants in Poudre Canyon:eek::eek:

Greg

It's just a matter of time. Last fall, The forest service was spreading what I thought was straw all over the hillsides to stabilize the burnt ground from the fires. This fall, there were big sections of wheat growing and that's where the elk were found. I guess that was wheat stubble and not straw. It's safe to say that those elk aren't going anywhere with all that easy food. Next year we will have at least one elk tag.

Back