Porcupine Encounter

Find a road kill, put the ecollar on and a leash, head towards the dead porky when he goes to investigate give the dog more jolt than normal. Otherwise they will find more and you will have the same problem. It worked for me on 6 dogs I have did this with. Good luck.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

In the grouse woods of the Northern Tier, porkys are encountered about as frequently as deer. Part of any young bird dogs education is "porky proofing"
We follow the above prescription before the first season in the woods for dogs of any breed and it saves a lot of grief.!! ;)

Porky roadkill or dispatch a porky yourself and then set up the scenario for the dog. Once I did this with my dog that got it really bad, he would not go near one, so then I did it with the rest of my string.

Road Kill...any type of road kill or must it be porcupine? Would assume any kill works.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOO...............

Dead porky or better yet, a live porky along remote woods road, two track etc etc. Park a little ways away, let dog out of crate, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING TO DOG, "IF" the dog shows any interest in quill pig or makes a move to investigate, GIVE HIM A GOOD DOSE OF WHITE LIGHTNING. DO NOT SAY ANYTHING TO DOG. Just put him back in crate and move on.

Be careful, some dogs who have been quilled badly, may try to hunt down and kill every porky they see. And I know of several who have died as a result of such a dustup. :mad:

I don't happened to have a dead porky nor do I see them on the gravel roads in SD.

Maybe I can buy one from a zoo...

Back