Pointer vs. Flushers?

Pheasants4ever

Administrator
What does everyone prefer to use for Pheasant hunting? I have owned & used Springers, English Setters and now have a German Shorthair. I think so far my own preference has been pointers-just something majestic about seeing them lock up on point! Although I know they really are no good in the standing corn, but none the less I try to stay out of the corn if I can!

I like the additional surprise factor of a flusher. I agree the points are pretty, but I think the shooting is alot like going to the trap range. Nothing like having the crap scared out of you by a cackling rooster. Even when the flusher gets birdy you still aren't sure when the bird is coming out, or where. Plus lately the pointers I have hunted behind have been ill behaved vieshlas. Good breed (maybe a little soft), codling owners. Over all I think this thread should be Flusher vs. pointer and posted in the flusher board. But my opinion might be jaded, I love my lab!!!

I'm a pointer guy, main reason, my dad always had GSP. I love when my German short hair goes on point and I can walk up and flush the bird. My experience has been that if your hunting in a small group (1 to 4 hunters), and in cover that you can see your dogs most of the time, and there are not 100's of birds in the cover, pointers are excellant and add to the enjoyment of the hunt. (Nebraska type hunting) I usually hunt alone and with a pointer you can cover alot of ground by yourself since pointers seem to cover alot more ground than a lab.

Now if I was lucky enough to hunt in South Dakota more often, I would have a close ranging, and retrieving lab. If your hunting standing crops and there are 100's of birds a pointer is pretty much useless. (South Dakota type hunting) The pointer will go crazy trying to point the running birds and will range to far out scaring birds out of range and you will want to shoot the damn dog. But a well trained lab will stay close and just do his job finding and retrieving the birds that are shot, and are priceless in those large milo fields full of birds. Just my opinion.

Noplclkneb.

And that right there pretty much sums it up. It really depends on the type of hunting you are doing and what you expect from your dog.

I had a GSP many, many years ago. A lot of the time the cover was thick and the dog was standing at a pretty point OUTSIDE the cover while I was in there getting my skin and clothes torn trying to get the bird up. Try to get a shot with thorns grabbing at your sleeves. After he passed I got a Springer and he went in after those birds while I stayed outside ready for a shot. Worked so well that I've stuck with flushers ever since. I now have a big tank of a yellow Lab (Levi) and a little field Cocker (Barney - who is now steady to wing, shot & fall)

Gwp

I have a german wirehaired pointer. Probably will never hunt again without a pointing dog. Used to have a springer, but now at age 60, I need to slow down and a GWP, will work as trained, she hold until I can catch up. She retrieves, including ducks and my wife loves her. I couldn't ask for more.

I have the best of both worlds

I have a Chocolate Lab that will trail a runner, but will point a bird holding. :D Also, if Ruby gets on the trail of a moving bird, she'll get real birdy and I know we are on to something. If the bird stops running, Ruby will go on point on the bird.

The amusing thing about all this is coming across a spot where a bird was holding. Ruby will go on point, but soon as she realizes the bird has moved on, she'll circle the spot looking for the trail and track the bird down again.

Owners vs Dog Breeds

Well we most certainly all have our favorites breeds and styles of hunting. But I question who has the most pride. Is it our prancing companions or self inflating competitive selves? You all sound very competitive and take pride in exhibiting your breedâ??s worth. It sounds like there are some very well trained bird dogs as well. I have hunted behind many ill behaved dogs of all breeds, but I have also been lucky enough to hunt with some great dogs (even animal shelter/pound mutts). Recognizing and thus appreciating the time in the field or in the backyard with your hunting companions is reward enough. There is no doubt that I am the lucky one in this partnership with my four legged companions. I hunt with Vizslas. You might call them â??a little softâ?�. I think they are extremely easy to train, but I have never spent the time trying to make other breeds obey or listen to commands that are not always instinctual. Many Vizslas that are not pleasurably introduced to water at the right time and will never be the right dog for late season hunting over water, but we should choose the right dog for our own needs (or invest time in good training practices). I feel they are the best dog that you will ever â??coddleâ?� just like you may prefer to spoil or defend your own (even if you got a lucky mutt). Bottom line my pointers were the right fit for my hunting lifestyle and hunting needs and together we love pursuing upland birds regardless of whether we pin them down or they run or they flush early and wild. And we are out there to please each other not simply to satisfy ourselves. They are not bottled up neurotic family retrievers that will not stop annoying you with their toy or stick or pine cone or anything else saturated with slobber and I do not have the time to train them to behave in any manner that is not instinctual. If you must train a dog to fit your needs then the time invested should be well spent and provide you both with memorable, pleasurable, and satisfying experiences for all on the hunt.
Habitat is to pheasants as dog owner/trainer is to canine.

I like them both but I will always own a pointer. Most of my friends own labs that will also point but since we have the flusher/retriever angle taken care of I am going to stay with my pointers.

I am sort of interested in getting a springer spaniel but not sure about their temprament. A nice little springer and close working pointer would be all a guys needs....I guess.

I've never had the pleasure of hunting behind a seasoned pointer, but I'd sure like to. I've only hunted behind a couple of very young pointers who hadn't quite worked it out yet.

My Dad & I both have 4 1/2 yr old Springers (from the same litter) and this is the 5th year we've hunted them. We've probably done a lot of things wrong, in fact, I'm sure we have. But in spite of our limited knowledge of training techniques with bird dogs, we've done OK.

There's no quit in either of those Springers, they seem to thrive on working the heaviest of cover, and they put birds up that other hunters and their dogs walk right by. Our biggest challenge has been training them to hunt close and I suspect it's something we'll always have to reinforce with them.

I'm guessing most good bird dogs possess a lot of good traits mixed with a few not-so-good ones and the challenge is to try to train the not-so-good ones out of them.

IMHO, it doesn't matter whether you're hunting behind a flusher or a pointer. All that matters is that the dog has a good nose, hunts close and finds the downed birds. What else could you ask of a bird dog?

JMB :)

Since I have a GSP I have to stick with them. Kody will track birds as well as retreive them for me. I have hunted with all sorts of dogs and tend to lean towards GSP's. My wife is new to hunting and she likes being able to walk up behind Kody and get a closer shot on the birds. There isn't anything much better than watching Kody running through a field and his nose hits the ground and his rear end swings up and over as he locks up on point.

Pointers all the way

I have a Wirehair and love him to death. Like all the other pointers fans out there I agree nothing better than seeing a pointer lock up on point over a bird holding tight!

I currently own a Vizsla. Prior to that, Springers, Prior to that Labs. I had Springers for most of my adult life, so I guess I have a special place in my heart for that breed, and will probably have another some day. They were awesome hunters, and were great companions. The thrill of the unexpected flush is without a doubt an incredible feeling. I have had my Vizsla for almost 3 years now. This dog is incredible as well. I worked a lot with him, and it has paid off in the field. As already mentioned, there is an awesome feeling that I get when I see my V. slowly and methodically work the scent and then hold point, rock solid until I am ready for the shot. I have been fortunate to have pointer, retreiver and flushers, all great dogs, and good hunters, (in my opinion), and I have to say it is magical to watch any dog, yours or mine, pointer, flusher, or retreiver, do what they love, regardless of the breed. Any of us that are lucky enough to have the dogs we do and enjoy their companionship and hard work in the field should feel blessed. I think you will all agree when I say they look the happiest when we are out there with them, enjoying what THEY love to do.* :D

I think any breed that can do its job well is an awesome dog. Nothing like seeing good dog work. I think that is why I like hunting upland birds so much...I good dog working is hard to beat no matter what the breed.

BOTH! Last fall I went out with a lab breeder (where my dog comes from). We had my young female and his old master as well as a young pointer. Both labs were trained steady enough to sit on the whistle when we saw the other dog on point so that we could go in and flush the bird. My first time with a pointer - exciting for sure but given my choice (and yes I'm biased!) I'd still prefer the flushing dog...
-Croc

i hunted with both an english setter (dads dog ) and my lab... my lab points and flushes... so it doesnt bother me... i hunted with my dads dog since 94 and i thought that i would hate flusher.. then 2 years ago i got my lab now i love flusher just as much as pointer..
shon

pointer vs. lab?

i am a retired k9 division commander for the local sheriffs department. funny thing is i got intoo working dogs for a living from my experieeences with hunting dogs as a boy. now grandpa had german shorthairs and english setters, which i enjoyed after working thousands of dogs throughout my career and now being primarily into the hunting gogs the kennel is loaded with english pointerswhich i never had lol. the dogs hunt hard, retrieve all the time to haand and will flush in any cover now i know all pointers will not the answer to your question is though you have to have a good stock dog and then put the time into training him with good training any bird dog you choose will be the best for you ( I like the pointers though ) good luck and have fun!

Back