Pocahontas Part Two

KBell

Saturday turned out to be a bust but had a great time with relatives and dinner. Sunday morning looked promising as the sun was shining and little wind at 7 a.m. Anxious to get back out there after the number of birds I saw on Friday.

Sophie and I hit the field at 8:13 and the light rain started. The bird on the left was the first point/flush of the day and Sophie obliged him by removing two thirds of his tail at takeoff!:) Another twenty or so yards yielded a double hen flush. Rain picking up now and is noticeable on my equipment. We made it to the cattails I mentioned on Friday and this time nothing. As I went to round the corner Sophie slammed to point. Release--nothing. Running I thought to myself. As I recalled her and positioned myself Sophie points again. Walking in to the edge of the cattails I thought to myself nothing here it is practically the same spot and at that moment the rush of wings and multiple flushes caught my attention. The first three on my left were hens. On the right flushed two roosters. I take the far right bird and he drops like a stone. Second series of flushes to the left at the sound of the gun report and I whirl to face three more roosters. Two are mature birds and heading out fast. The third, a younger bird, is gaining some altitude. I choose him and he ends the morning. Rain stronger now and noticeable wind. It is 8:47 a.m. We head to the truck.

All three were early hatch birds similar to Friday. I stayed for an early lunch--still raining steady--and then hit the road. Near Fort Dodge I was welcomed from the West with a strong wind and heavy rain. This lasted for 15 minutes. It rained consistently the remainder of my drive home. Glad I wasn't in the field I thought.

Sophie and I will definitely return to this area in a few weeks. I was impressed with the younger birds and the numbers of birds I saw this trip. For those of you wondering--Sophie got that double cheeseburger at Webster City and yes we were listening to Jason Aldean on the radio. Some habits you just don't change!!:p

Good show k bell ive been peaking in on ya :D Did you know about that area last year? Looks like your getting with it this year mo is the best I have seen it in years know need to go to ks

Very nice Ken, glad to hear it.

The only bummer about a day like that is that it ends so soon, no complaints though I am sure.:)

Thanks

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Only a pointer I am aware of and visit this area every hunting season. I have relatives in the area and kill "two birds with one stone" so to speak. I also know that when severe winter hits these birds will move to two adjacent properties that do not allow hunting access. What do you mean about Mo? Please elaborate.

IA at Heart you are correct that I take them anyway I can get them!:) Birds are extremely spotty this year and don't let the posts fool you--I have been in areas where there are just no birds. No sign, no sightings, nothing.

Nate my friend you are very kind. I was lucky to get into this week's birds and I know it. Most I have seen in a spot in about five years. Did not see the two groups of "brown squabs" today. I have never seen that young of birds this late in the year. I just about missed the "window" of hunting time today due to the weather.

I hope the posts are not misleading. It is extremely easy right now to walk an area and see nothing. The reports I am giving include much scouting, contacting sources and boot work.:) I think I mentioned prior that Crown and Coke is my cure for this!:D

Last edited:
Hey -

I meant to ask the other day --> what chance do you give the "brown squabs" with making it through the winter? How many more weeks of decent weather do you believe we need to put them within the "will likely survive" column?

I think I remember hearing or reading that protein consumption is most important for positioning pheasant chicks for success. Have I got that right? I'm still seeing some grasshoppers, but fewer and fewer as the weeks pass.

Your thoughts?

I don't know

Hello Nate,

My most appropriate answer is that I don't know.:( I have never witnessed such young birds at this time of year. Believe it or not--I put both groups as end of first to during the second week of September hatches. Who would have believed that?:)

The fact that they scooted around in the picked corn in front of me gave ample time to size and approximate their age. I would not believe this if I had not witnessed it myself! Close to 50 hunting years now and I have had a first.

Agree that insects might still be important but probably more important that they are able to feed on greens and nest in warmer cover soon. This farm has both. I should know on my return visit in a few weeks how they are doing. Hopefully I can report on them then. The six birds of this year that I harvested all had clover and alfalfa in their crops from the strips on the farm. I did not see any insects in their crops.

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Only a pointer I am aware of and visit this area every hunting season. I have relatives in the area and kill "two birds with one stone" so to speak. I also know that when severe winter hits these birds will move to two adjacent properties that do not allow hunting access. What do you mean about Mo? Please elaborate.

IA at Heart you are correct that I take them anyway I can get them!:) Birds are extremely spotty this year and don't let the posts fool you--I have been in areas where there are just no birds. No sign, no sightings, nothing.

Nate my friend you are very kind. I was lucky to get into this week's birds and I know it. Most I have seen in a spot in about five years. Did not see the two groups of "brown squabs" today. I have never seen that young of birds this late in the year. I just about missed the "window" of hunting time today due to the weather.

I hope the posts are not misleading. It is extremely easy right now to walk an area and see nothing. The reports I am giving include much scouting, contacting sources and boot work.:) I think I mentioned prior that Crown and Coke is my cure for this!:D

in Missouri having lots of luck right below you:)

Glad to hear this friend. I assume you are referring to quail and pheasant. Can't say I ever shot a Missouri pheasant but I bet they eat just as good!:) Glad you are having success. One of the best quail hunts I ever experienced was in Missouri northern counties area in 1982.:)

Glad to hear this friend. I assume you are referring to quail and pheasant. Can't say I ever shot a Missouri pheasant but I bet they eat just as good!:) Glad you are having success. One of the best quail hunts I ever experienced was in Missouri northern counties area in 1982.:)

Its made a little bit of a come back im finding some quail there my fav to hunt I love the dog work I can hunt them all day and if a rooster pops up a bonus, I like going south and hunting around home though to just for quail. You know years ago I hunted in victor iowa and we absolutely drilled them birds filled the sky around year 1994 give or take I took my dad for his xmas present best trip me and my dad ever had togeather never ever forget it go hawkeyes, :)

Tag that Elk!

Thanks John,

Had a great hunt here yesterday but didn't take any pics due to the cold. Very stiff wind and high only in twenties made it feel like zero here on Saturday and Sunday.

Wishing you the best with the pursuit of your elk. I am sure it sustains you and others all winter long. When my children lived with us deer were a staple part of our winter diet. Now with them gone and myself looking back at 50, I haven't purchased a deer tag for several years!:)

Guess you could say I have become store dependent!:p

Ken

Back