Planning a trip

Jonjhawk

Hate these posts but looking for help. Seems like NC is down. I’m driving in from Denver and my dad is meeting me from kc. Going in December. We usually hunt around Hayes but it doesn’t seem like that’s the place to go. If there’s any general areas (with lots of wigs or a guide you recommend) would love to hear it

My advice would be to forget about the pheasants and concentrate on the quail. You'll probably see a few pheasants. I'd head for the smokey or flint hills. There's plenty of guide services with a just a google search. I would tough it out in the WIHA's a few days then finish off with a nice Pseudo rooster hunt somewhere.

Yeah let’s post all of our spots on an open public forum to help a stranger from Denver so 3,800 other people can also read it and flock to our already pressured birds. Or the few left.

Brilliant

If you're driving in from Denver and your dad is meeting you from KC, have you considered Costa Rica? It's an amazing destination, especially in December. You should definitely check out Costa Rica Focus (www.costaricafocus.com). They have awesome guides and can help you find the best spots for hunting. Plus, they offer a wide range of wig options to make your trip even more memorable. I know it might sound a bit unconventional, but trust me, Costa Rica has some stunning landscapes to explore.

Last edited:
Hate these posts but looking for help. Seems like NC is down. I’m driving in from Denver and my dad is meeting me from kc. Going in December. We usually hunt around Hayes but it doesn’t seem like that’s the place to go. If there’s any general areas (with lots of wigs or a guide you recommend) would love to hear it
Have you looked a little west and north like around Hill City? I hunt a family farm a little further north and west. The reporting is not good this year for Norton and Decatur counties.

"Kansas, the destination you can watch your dog run away for 2 weeks".....nothing to do with this thread, I just heard this crack on Sports Center as they were beginning the highlights of the Kansas/UConn men's basketball game....it looked like a great game also. Anyway that struck me as a LOL funny way to say "it is flat country there". I do have a twisted sense of humor. Enough, I have to get dressed to hunt now.

I would skip the Grainfield area because I heard that on the second Saturday 22 guns with dogs hunted around there and bagged one bird. I hunt private in the Hoxie - Hill City area and see few birds. No idea where you should go. The KDWP says north central is the best this year.

Planning a trip can be a puzzle, but it sounds like you've got some exciting hunting plans lined up. If you're looking for new areas in NC, maybe check out some local guides—they often know the hidden gems! Also, any recommendations for cozy hotels near me around those hunting spots? A good night's rest can make all the difference.

Last edited:
Back