places to shoot?

zoellner25

I've been trying to find a safe place to take my 9 year old son out target shooting (22, 243, maybe some small shotgun). I know the Pawnee grasslands is open but anyone have any suggestions farther south? I live near Erie, so anything within an hour would be desirable. Not much luck finding good info online, so thought I'd ask the pros. thanks.

Thanks guys. Know of anywhere above Boulder or Lyons in the National Forest that might be secluded enough to shoot? Don't want to go to Lefthand Canyon, sounds like a mad house there. Maybe point me down a particular road and I can do some searching?

You will just ask for trouble shooting in the N. Forrest in Boulder County. Although legal, it is best not to even go there. Pawnee has even had trouble with the trash left behind. There is the Pawnee shooting center, but it is a trip. Maybe just a hair closer then the Pawnee N.G. Watkins has a range as well. Otherwise, you need to find a farmer or Rancher that will allow you to plink if you want close by solitude.

At one time, ~2 years ago, I would shoot up near the north end of Switzerland trail, west of Gold Hill. Boulderites and those of similar thinking have really raised a stink lately, and I haven't done any shooting up there in a while. Also, we moved to east Brighton, and Colorado Clays is now about 5 minutes away. I would burn more in gas driving to Gold Hill than it would cost for me to shoot at CC.

:cheers:

Thanks for the info guys. I know finding anything west of Boulder is both difficult and painful. I'll give your suggestions a try and do some exploring. I might try to find a rancher who will let me out there. Not as easy out here as growing up in rural Wisc and shooting off the back porch. Man, those were the days.......

If you're just interested in a shooting range with lanes
Colorado Clays
Cherry Creek Reservoir
Blue Core shooting (indoor to 100yds)

These are the closest public areas to you for rifle.

I've been trying to find a safe place to take my 9 year old son out target shooting (22, 243, maybe some small shotgun). I know the Pawnee grasslands is open but anyone have any suggestions farther south? I live near Erie, so anything within an hour would be desirable. Not much luck finding good info online, so thought I'd ask the pros. thanks.

you will do well to go to the grassland, with the kid you can set up to shoot beer cans or anything else you want, no real rules nor anybody to interfere, just don't leave a mess. don't believe any of the commercial places will let you just plink. good luck with finding a rancher close to a large population, most are burned out

cheers

Back