Pictures of your habitat, projects, food plots, etc.

What is the vegetation like in the WRP? What kind of grasses do you have in the CRP? Love all the plums, let those form thickets....it seems everything likes to eat plums! Looks like you are a strong 3 hours south and west of me, guessing by the center pivots it is usually dryer/warmer, so your grasses and cover are likely somewhat different also. If you can get those 55 acres into a program that would really make things take off! I think the other parcel if you could get that bit marked "milo" into a program, it would make it much more productive than 2 smaller pieces. You do have a nice start on things there. There is often a cost to put land into CPR, but you need to consider what value it will have to you as CRP...it often takes a family of sportsman to make it happen. Another positive from CPR, the ground will be in better condition when it ever comes out of CRP than when you put it into the program.

I would think someone would want to cut the locust just for the firewood or posts.
I'd welcome anyone to cut firewood or fenceposts. In addition to this 3.5 acres, there's two other little woodlots that have even denser tree cover. The whole stretch appears below. Don't know that I've seen many locust fenceposts, though. Almost all wood fence posts in this area are osage orange, aka hedge.

1675090800813.png

What is the vegetation like in the WRP? What kind of grasses do you have in the CRP? Love all the plums, let those form thickets....it seems everything likes to eat plums! Looks like you are a strong 3 hours south and west of me, guessing by the center pivots it is usually dryer/warmer, so your grasses and cover are likely somewhat different also. If you can get those 55 acres into a program that would really make things take off! I think the other parcel if you could get that bit marked "milo" into a program, it would make it much more productive than 2 smaller pieces. You do have a nice start on things there. There is often a cost to put land into CPR, but you need to consider what value it will have to you as CRP...it often takes a family of sportsman to make it happen. Another positive from CPR, the ground will be in better condition when it ever comes out of CRP than when you put it into the program.
The WRP along the outer edges has a pretty good mix of forbs and big blue stem, although the southern end is slowly being taken over by brome...the northern end still has a very good stand of big blue stem. The center of the WRP is the water catch basin; it rarely ever holds water though. It is primarily made up of short grasses and wildflowers that rarely get above knee high.

On the other piece we tried getting those other 2 acres put into the program but they would not accept them. When my dad put that piece into CRP 20 years ago it was with a field corner program, even though there is no pivot on that field... I don't know how he got it approved like that. But since it was technically supposed to be 2 separate corners there needed to be a buffer in-between them. When we got the CRP renewed there a couple years ago they wouldn't accept them because they hadn't been in crop production for 15 years. Really those two acres have just been idle grass the entire time but we were thinking of putting in a milo food plot there that we would just leave for the wildlife.

Back