Phez road survey - March 16 - 18

jonnyB

Visited my wife's Mother in Mobridge - drove out Sunday and returned yesterday.

The weather Sunday was beautiful; high of 58 and generally clear. We took hwy #212, from Watertown, to hwy #83 then north to Mobridge. Saw one hawk and one bald eagle - no pheasants.

Yesterday we took a different route home: Hwy. 20, Hoven to Watertown. Weather was cooler but we did observe eight birds - between Hoven and Northville, all roosters. All the birds were near cattail areas.

Most of the snow is gone from the areas we traveled...

Hey john,

I talked to Andy last week. He said he only wintered about 5 or 600 birds in his tree grove this winter:(. Said it got to be kinda a pain in the butt turning around in his dad's drive with the birds running all over.:) With a warm early spring we should be in good shape this fall.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the update - good news from one part of SD! Have been watching the weather in that area of the state and it appears to be mild, at least for the near future and does bode well for an early spring.

Just bought a 04 Yukon which we took to Mobridge - like the ride but really poor on gas!! Oh well, don't expect to be using the truck except for a few hunting and fishing trips. Cheers!

From what I've been hearing from SD folks, the winter wasn't so bad as far as snow goes. Cold was an issue, but without the wind-driven snow causing issues/higher mortality rates, winter carry-over may be okay:). (Thus far)

Back