Pheasants Forever 2009 Forecast

lefty

Here's a little teaser until the KDWP report comes out.

Kansas
Overall, prospects for the pheasant hunting season in Kansas are excellent, and that's coming off a season in which 108,000 hunters harvested 680,000 roosters. Strong breeding populations, plus nice spring nesting conditions and good cover conditions throughout has the Jayhawk state poised for one of its best seasons in years. Preliminary results indicate that northwest Kansas pheasant numbers are at their highest level in a quarter century, as the crowing index there hit a record high this past spring (statewide, the crowing index was at it's second highest level ever). Production in southwest Kansas has substantially improved numbers this year compared to the drought-suppressed numbers of last year. The best hunting will include Cheyenne County in the northwest corner of the state, east to Phillips County along the Nebraska border, south to Pawnee County, west-northwest to Wallace County along the Colorado border, and then back north to Cheyenne County. Some parts of southwest Kansas will also be very good. Pheasant numbers in central Kansas may be down slightly overall, but good to very good locally.

Thanks Lefty!! I'll provide some first hand accounts after this weekend. I'm heading out to my dad's to help the farmer he works for get some work done quick. They're behind getting their winter wheat planted and they actually invited me out to run a tractor. This endeavor will serve me well on more than one level. I'll be able to check out the pheasant population from the cab of a tractor AND I'm getting the opportunity to give back to the farmer who has been so gracious to let me hunt over the years. I'll provide a report when I get a chance!!

Last edited:
Okay,

I spent 2 evenings and 2 mornings driving the same roads, at the same time of day, at roughly the same time of year as I've driven for almost a decade now, scouting the numbers for the coming season. There are a lot of older birds this year in the area I hunt. The cover looks better than I've ever seen it. I mean CRP is just that....CRP. The cover I'm referring to exists in wheat stubble fields that are usually pretty sparse. This year, there is tall grass coming up through the wheat stubble, presumably because of all of the late season rain they've been getting in the area.

Back to pheasant numbers.....I saw a decent number of pheasants. I certainly did not see the numbers I've seen in years past. The area I'm talking about is at the bottom of the "triangle" that is said to have great numbers this year. I've seen this area produce many more birds than are out there this year. Keep in mind that there is still an abundance of cover and I saw some very young chicks. I saw several broods that were a few weeks away from getting any color at all. Limits will be available for those willing to put in the work. Decent hunting (seeing 50-100 birds in a 10-hour day) should be available for the duration of the season. I will again focus my opening day efforts North of Pawnee county. If it is warm and the crops are still in, best of luck to those willing to give this area a try.

None of the WIHA has been mowed, which is great!

I didn't see any quail. I have some great pheasant pics (and dog/pointing pics) that I'll upload when I get my camera near a computer that will perform the function. Clean your shotguns and fill your vests with ammo....IT'S BIRD SEASON!!!!
:cheers:

Last edited:
Back