Pheasant with a .22

gcoach

If I read the hunting regulations right it seems that it is legal to take pheasants with a .22. Is this correct and has anyone ever done it?

The regulations say you can take a pheasant with a .22 rimfire. I have not nor will I, as it poses too much risk to the dogs, other hunters, etc.

So it is more a question of why would you want to? :confused:

If I read the hunting regulations right it seems that it is legal to take pheasants with a .22. Is this correct and has anyone ever done it?

You are right you can use a 22 to hunt phez. I used to do it as a kid hunting rabbits and see a phez. dang right (head shot.)
with a dog I would not but sometimes a walk in the field or woods by youself is kinda fun.

Golden, I have to give you credit for that. Yup. If I was out hunting something else and I saw a good-eatin' Rooster I woudl let him have it. Have done so with Ruffs already.

I stand corrected.

aim high willis, aim high!

I've shot dusky grouse with a .22, and if you shoot them in the body, they don't die... phez would be even tougher i imagine.

I spent a lot of my spare time [plenty that wasn't spare to]:) wondering around the ponds and marshes with the 22. Raccoons were worth $5, a buck mink about 25. Skunks and porcupines fair game and other vermin. Anyway we had a ton of grouse in those days, plenty of pheasant to. Yeah those were great times. Take the grouse on the ground or in the tree. Pheasants were tougher because of the cover, got a few.

mnmt: My dad says grouse (Can I call them partridge on the MN forum?) used to be dumber -- now they are pretty crafty. I guess I don't know, not having the same historical knowledge.:confused:

Come to think of it that's what we all called Ruffs in those days. "partridge" :)
Sure Db we in MN know what your talking about. I do most of my hunting out West. MT has some good Ruff hunting but they also have Hungarian Partridge that is a true partridge and not in the least similar to the Ruff. So it's hard for me to call a Ruffed Grouse "partridge":eek:

I don't think "partridge" were dumber in those days? Just so many more of them and a percent will stand or land in a tree.

since I started on this forum I have had to call them Ruffed Grouse to differentiate between the other grouse and partridge. When I first went out for the first time with a .410 Winchester single shot (oh, damn...) in 1981 we called `em partridge.

On the up side, if that stupid .410 had killed the one rooster I saw the next year I may have not added finding and shooting a wild pheasant to my list of things to do before I die and I would now be possibly tying flies or crocheting or something.

Back