Pheasant Tailfeathers and Big Rooster Spurs

webguy

UPH Owner/Founder
Staff member
Any of you guys got some long rooster tailfeathers photos, big rooster spurs to show?

Heres a couple...

Here's the gramps of all roosters that I got when out hunting with Dakota Hotspots in Nov 2006. I had to do a little work out there so I they let the webguy have a gun... which I always appreciate. This bird was in a real weak patch of corn and weedy cover. We got 3 real old birds out of that huge piece of cover. All 3 roosters had HUGE spurs. The photo doesn't do it justice. Steve has it on film flushing so I'll post the video up on the site sometime when I get the video.

huge-pheasant-spurs.jpg

Here's a photo taken Dec 8th in the Lake Andes area. It wasn't a monster tailfeather, but a 25 incher is not too shabby. He was missing 1 spur (or shot off) and had the proverbial curly spur on the other.
large-pheasant-tailfeather.jpg

Tailfeathers

This is a bird that my brother & I shot a few weeks ago. One of those "bird flushes - we both shoot (simultaneously) - bird falls" deals. My brother was closer to the flush so the bird went to him. When we realized it had some unusually long tailfeathers, he decided to have it mounted. What we could measure of the tailfeathers was 25.75". So my guess is the full length would be closer to 27.75".
GhostBird.jpg

For reference, I placed a shorter (approx. 21") tailfeather below the tape measure in this photo:
Tailfeathers.jpg

JMB

Back