Pheasant stocking program in Western Penn. Where are the birds?

Seems odd in a state with a limited population of birds that there would be a large number of hunters. Maybe they should close the season for a few years and then set the limit to one rooster. There would likely be hunters that quit huinting and the wild bird population might have a chance to re-establish itself. Sounds like you have government subsidized pheasant hunting there.

Tax payer/ $25 pheasant stamp....
Don't agree with the closing idea.... many hunters wouldn't come back, giving GC more reasons to give up altogether...

This particular SGL is located in South East Region of the State , we do however travel throughout the State and spend a lot of our time hunting areas that require a few hours of driving time.
cryptic.... you must work for the CIA... I live in Carlise and hunt the state as well

Seems odd in a state with a limited population of birds that there would be a large number of hunters. Maybe they should close the season for a few years and then set the limit to one rooster. There would likely be hunters that quit huinting and the wild bird population might have a chance to re-establish itself. Sounds like you have government subsidized pheasant hunting there.

Remy3424

Your posts are music to my ears. I gave up on this forum a few years back and for some reason decided to sign on today. I moved to PA about 15 years ago and have never given up on the wild bird population and know some wild birds exist still.

TroutBum said it well (things are always so cryptic when it comes to Pheasants). If hunters banded together, started more PF chapters and put some work in ... some things could change.

TroutBum sounds like he may follow my other passion, Fly Fishing, and I have seen and participated in TU and other organizations changing the trajectory of Fish populations in places that others said were impossible (in MANY states).

PA still has great habitat for birds ... not like before (my father and I traveled here in the late 70s and early 80s to hunt), but it exists.

Don't get me wrong, I love our stocking program as otherwise my dog and I would be sitting at home vs. being in the outdoors where we belong.

I think, know, that wild birds can survive here in PA and it isn't all about having wild birds to shoot. It is about saving a beautiful, exciting game bird.

I just don't find that there are may who will band together to do what is needed as most are about saving their honey holes vs. saving the birds we all love. The WPRAs are not the only places where hunters could work together. TU (trout unlimited) does things where the opportunity exists (streams and rivers with the right habitat) - lots of little places in PA where pheasants could be plentiful and maybe even expand (just like trout and other fish when given the chance and a little help from people who care about more than just catching fish).

Great post! Thanks!

OM, what you say is true.
Now cost out a bunch of local guys coming together to buy, build, maintain, operate....a habitat and raising program... locally.
There's a reason GC doesn't/can't do a more complete job, finances.
There's a reason preserves operate, profits.
So I too believe wild pheasants can be brought back, locals can come together to improve conditions..... just get out your billfold.

Optic, I do flyfish….mostly the Yellow Breeches and Letort, because it's local but have flyrod and travel trailer, so I'm known to take fishcations

... to me, today was a typical Pennsylvania pheasant hunt... post stocking, looking for that one last bird before the next stocking... he lost his nerve and took off, two blasts to no effect and I track his flight...a walk of 300 yards, Jack locates him, but no shot and he's headed back to where he started...we turn around and tromp 400 yards on the return, one more flush, I miss, Mr. Rooster wins this one... we're just as satisfied as if we're bringing two home...

Support the local PF chapter, most of the money they generate stays with the chapter. Get on the board and help decide how they will use the funds and the projects they participate in. Solicit the landowners to attend, they are the ones that can really make a difference when it comes to creating habitat. The ground is the hard part of the equation. With habitat, birds will come.

... disappointing day for one day after a stocking...fellas showed up and cleaned em out in one Thursday and Friday morning...

... here's to taking a chance...
Checked the interactive map to review a GL out of the way/few bird hunters think of.... unusual habitat, unusual location but there they were...up above the town of Tidioute... several flushes, one down

Back