Pheasant preserves Metro area

Ranger6

I just moved to Minnesota and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Pheasant preserve near the Twin Cities area? I have a three year old GSP and a Pointing lab that I would like to get out and work some birds with prior to the season.

Thanks
Tom

The state has a map of all the preserves.

I've been a member at Major Ave. (Glencoe) for a number of years. Great place to train and hunt. From Minnetonka, about 45 minutes.

The state has a map of all the preserves.

I've been a member at Major Ave. (Glencoe) for a number of years. Great place to train and hunt. From Minnetonka, about 45 minutes.

Can you give me some more info about Major Ave? I'm in Waconia, not far from there but it looks like their website is down...
Members only? Rates?

I was able to click on their web site...scroll down a few sites from the top.

Membership is $400.

This club recently changed back to the original owners; Membership was at $300.

From Waconia, you are a short drive to their club.

No idea what they are charging for birds...

When my dog was a puppy, I used the club for training. They had a trainer on site that I used and I could work the dog on chuckers. Good site to condition you and your dog.

Last edited:
Another site that's just north of Waconia - Wings of Watertown, Hwy 20 ,north of hwy 7. I don't believe you need to be a member; have not hunted there for several years. Probably worth a call.

Another site that's just north of Waconia - Wings of Watertown, Hwy 20 ,north of hwy 7. I don't believe you need to be a member; have not hunted there for several years. Probably worth a call.

Is Wings of Watertown still in business? Website is down. Last post on Facebook was in 2016. I never knew this place existed. Wish I did - it's right down the road from me and I have always taken the kids/pups way out to Gold Meadows near Cold Spring.

Gold Meadows is a decent outfit. Fields get beat up by late season but I think they have the best birds around - not quite wild, but they will run a little and flush well. Still big and slow though so good for the kids to shoot at.

Caribou is also nice - nice lodge and you can swap your dead birds for smoked frozen birds as you leave.

Would not recommend Glendorado (near Princeton). Lazy birds that rarely flush. Dogs caught 9 of 12 birds released last time I was there.

I had trouble finding Wings of W'town, also. There may be a phone listing you could try. They have interesting fields, but it was a weekend hunt only, as I recall.

Last time I hunted Gold Meadows was before the first frost - lots of bugs to contend with!

Last year I hunted a preserve at Granite Falls; amazing fields, all roosters, great people and no fees. A bit of a drive, but worth it.

Have a call in to Oakdale Ridge, south of #169, Belle Plaine...

Last edited:
Here's the scoop on Oakdale Ridge:

$444 member fee, September to April; however, if there's 3' of snow and that hits in December, probably little hunting thereafter.
$17 Chuckers
$20 Pheasants

I was able to click on their web site...scroll down a few sites from the top.

Membership is $400.

This club recently changed back to the original owners; Membership was at $300.

From Waconia, you are a short drive to their club.

No idea what they are charging for birds...

When my dog was a puppy, I used the club for training. They had a trainer on site that I used and I could work the dog on chuckers. Good site to condition you and your dog.

Looks like $25 for roosters only. $20/bird for mixed hen and roosters both.

Some of the listed Preserves are far cheaper than Horse and Hunt or Traxler's - both over $1000 for a membership, plus an annual fee.

Last year, Major Ave was considering a reduced fee to geezers - $200. Not sure if they followed through on this...

Tom I live near you and make the drive out to Sandpines in Avon just west of St Cloud. Ownership and fields are exceptional. Worth the drive. No membership fees and birds around $20. First come first serve for fields. I prefer field 1A or 1B. 2A and 2B are good fields for pointers. If they push field 5 on you don't take it. Good field just to small for the drive (you'll be done quickly)

Again Thanks for the feedback. I hunted Sandpines in Avon Thanksgiving morning. Exceptional cover, strong flying birds with great folks. I will return and I highly recommend it.

Thanks
Tom

Horse n Hunt Club in Prior Lake, MN is a pretty popular one out your way. Lodge with restaurant and beverage. Multiple events hosted each year. Nice Facility and Amenities. Members only I am not sure. You will probably pay more here than others, if this is something you are not opposed to...

http://www.horseandhunt.com/

Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet are open to the public - just pay the fee to shoot. Non-member for Sporty's - $24?per round of 50.

Hunting is another story - only open to members; it was $1000 to join with an annual fee.

Back