Pheasant opener later this year?

calamari

I was looking at the opening dates for pheasants and deer and planning my trip and find FWP has moved the pheasant opener back one week to the 12th which is now the same as N.Dakota. Although out of state hunters can't hunt public land in N.Dakota for the first week of the season, private land is available. It also reduces by one week the period where there aren't big game hunters all over the place while you're hunting birds.
I wonder if there will be a reduction in the hunters this year since the guys from farther East may just stay in N. Dakota instead of hunting the week of the opener in Mt. and then going East for that opener like in the past? There were a ton of hunters the first week of the last 5 seasons who did that in Mt.
Or maybe I just read the reg.s wrong.

Deer/Elk opens 2 weeks after pheasant on the 26th. The start of both were pushed back a week from last year but I don't know why. Antelope opens same day as pheasant as usual. Guess we end up losing a week of hunting this year.:(

That is late? Better chance for snowstorms.

Cal, good to hear Your making plans.:thumbsup:
Pheasant hunter numbers might to be down in MT. Residents will be the same. There are some 4,000 NR Combination licenses not sold.

These licenses include upland bird. I think just about all of the Combo license holders bring their scatter guns to include a few days of pheasant hunting.

Possible they forget about the big game and just get the upland bird license and spend a week or two concentrating on the birds.:confused:

Anyway those public areas that hold pheasants will be pounded.:eek:

I think the reason is that labor day is September 2 this year so if they start archery on labor day weekend , opening day would be in August. So they are starting archery the next week, hence rifle will be pushed back a week. Somebody said they start pheasant 2 weeks before big game that would make sense. The rifle big game seasons go 5 weeks I believe, so no loss there. But pheasant always ends on January 1 so it will be shorter.

Yes Wayne, I'm going to buy the case of diet Pepsi and drive 27 hours straight to go hunting. I just had $2,000 worth of work done on my truck that I could sell for $1,500 on a dark rainy night under sodium lights. I'm ready!
I wish they hadn't changed the dates because as you point out the weather becomes problematic when they move it a week later for someone like myself who uses a camper shell and dry camps.
A little risk just makes for a more interesting trip. Now if the MN hunters (except for you Wayne) just stay in N. Dakota.

A little snow makes the hunting a whole lot better! It's not cool that we lose a week of hunting this year though.

A little snow is OK if it's for a short period. Snow makes mud which makes driving and sleeping with a muddy dog and muddy gear in a camper shell, well let's just say very messy. Last year I almost got stuck in front of a check in box right next to the highway after it rained where I was opening day. Montana has the gumbo soils to grow a lot of rice if it only had the water.
A lot of snow and driving 800 miles from Big Timber to Wells, NV in 4wd in blowing snow going home early, no fun at all. Cold and dry after a good rain before I leave, that's all I'm asking for. Cold and dry.
You're right MTtailchaser. They did take the week off the front of the season and not the back which would have little effect.

Last edited:
I sure like having ND between MN And MT. People sure do seem to hate that drive. Stops a lot of hunters to do their hunting in ND.
Me, I don't know? if I'm going to pack the truck and pups what difference does another 5 hours of travel make?
Except if I 94 gets bad then it could take a couple days!

I like it when MT gets just a sprinkle at night, holds the dust down, helps with scent. Hate it when it makes gumbo. Those that have not been in gumbo would not believe it.

North Dakota does have a lot more pheasants, maybe that's why hunters stop there.:confused:

i was going to head to MT again but i remember that gumbo & thought i better stick to ND for my 1st out of state pheasant hunt! lol

yeah the worst gumbo roads ive ever seen were in KS just turn to soup once the roads even see rain clouds out that way cant even walk in the S*** this spring we pulled of a hi way 2 car lengths & were stuck in the gumbo rookie driver came in hot & slid in the mud lucky a nice trucker had enough hemp rope to pull us out quick man we felt dumb!!!

SD has some nice gumbo roads also but nothing like KS been to SE MT B4 & was throwing red mud all over but were able to get out man that gumbo is a B**** my van cant handle that mess when in the van we stick near major roads if rain may be in the forecast...

Include Iowa Roads

If we are talking bad roads we heed to include Iowa, when they get wet it is just like snot. You drive in to your first hunting spot early in the morning when the roads is frozen. By the time you get ready to leave the sun has melted the top 1/4" and it does not matter how many wheel drive you got.

been to IA nothing like out in MT,KS,SD gumbo the soil is different it turns from dust to goo in very short time!!!

theres muddy roads then there is gumbo!!! in them out west states the make roads that only tractors can get down if its wet they are only used by farmers & hunters less the minimum mag roads lol

I got caught a few years back in the Missouri Breaks. Rained hard and cool weather. Three days later it froze up 3 am I got out. 70 miles from the pavement you have to watch the weather.
Missouri Breaks Gumbo is the worst in the world, That IS a fact. (Bentonite)

No phone service, You can get a tow from Lewistown, Malta, or Glasgow. They won't come out in the Gumbo, it has to dry up.
Anyway, you will have to walk for phone service about 25-30 miles. There are a few ranches at that point. They will usually help, it's common, people getting stuck in the breaks.
You better be carrying cash, LOTS.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Anyway, you will have to walk for phone service about 25-30 miles.
You better be carrying cash, LOTS.:thumbsup:

Wayne, upon further review I withdraw my offer to be your cook/bartender/life coach/personal shopper on your next trip anywhere near the Missouri River. I now see who would be the one walking for help.:)

yes MT was very bad mud KS has got to be 2nd worst if not a damn close tie them gray dust roads are just like snot when wet sticks to ur feet & tires ETC. just a bad deal!!!

seen 300$ tow signs in SD i herd about the sign B4 but couldnt beleave it when i seen it way out in middle of nowhere got to have green backs if you get stuck out there im sure they dont have a e-reader out that way for tow jobs lol

Wayne, upon further review I withdraw my offer to be your cook/bartender/life coach/personal shopper on your next trip anywhere near the Missouri River. I now see who would be the one walking for help.:)

Cal, the town of Fort Peck has phone service and now The Pines Recreation area has a graveled road and a tower.
You would still have to do the cooking though, no Cafe.

Back