pheasant knife

I have used a filet knife and for those days when hunting in large groups and many harvested birds I have used an battery operated filet knife, less romantic but it gets you to the beer faster.

Talking about fileting the birds. The question I have, and maybe its for the Game Warden to answer is: In the field I pull back the skin then filet out the breasts and cut off the thigh (with leg and spur attached) from the bird and package them all together in a zip-lock bag on Ice, to travel home. So in one bag I have 2 breasts, 2 attached thigh/leg with both spurs. Is that legal?

That's exactly how I used to do it. But I was told it is illegal (never been checked) so I just wait until I get home to process the birds the way I want.

It was explained to me that the breast meat must be connected to the leg with the spur, or the wing that is being used to identify the bird's sex. Otherwise, I was told that you could be accused of putting hen breasts in the bag with rooster legs.

I have been using Shears for a long time and do not even use a knife any more!! Is that PF knife made well Driggs? It looks sweet!!:cheers:

I've always used a sleek little pocket knife for birds, but just got this one for reupping my PF membership. Pretty sweet little knife. Like a mini filet knife. Nice burl on the handle.

looks like you cant just buy the knife dangit. Looks like a nice one

Guess you can only use it for Chinese Ringnecks!!!:eek::cheers:

Back