Pheasant hunt report

Juliusvatalaro

Well it had been many years since I hunted wild pheasants. I used to hunt them in California. I was truly humbled in SD. My wife and I went to Pierre SD for a 4 day hunt with a guide. The first day Nov 19th the birds would get out of the fields as we drove up. Now that was nuts. The dogs we used were no help that day. We were able to put up a fair amount of roosters, however there're quick. We managed to hit and retrieve a few. The next day was just about the same. The third day we went to a different area the birds there were very wild also but way more birds and I got my limit and my wife got two. The fourth and final day we went back to the same area however there was about six inches of fresh snow on the ground and about 6 degrees out. The birds held great and my brittany did well. We shot 23 birds and had a fantastic day. I will always remember this trip. I learned you need a great retriever or you will loose too many wounded birds that will run on you.

Julius

23? Pen Raised

Well it had been many years since I hunted wild pheasants. I used to hunt them in California. I was truly humbled in SD. My wife and I went to Pierre SD for a 4 day hunt with a guide. The first day Nov 19th the birds would get out of the fields as we drove up. Now that was nuts. The dogs we used were no help that day. We were able to put up a fair amount of roosters, however there're quick. We managed to hit and retrieve a few. The next day was just about the same. The third day we went to a different area the birds there were very wild also but way more birds and I got my limit and my wife got two. The fourth and final day we went back to the same area however there was about six inches of fresh snow on the ground and about 6 degrees out. The birds held great and my brittany did well. We shot 23 birds and had a fantastic day. I will always remember this trip. I learned you need a great retriever or you will loose too many wounded birds that will run on you. Where the 23 birds you shot pen raised?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it had been many years since I hunted wild pheasants. I used to hunt them in California. I was truly humbled in SD. My wife and I went to Pierre SD for a 4 day hunt with a guide. The first day Nov 19th the birds would get out of the fields as we drove up. Now that was nuts. The dogs we used were no help that day. We were able to put up a fair amount of roosters, however there're quick. We managed to hit and retrieve a few. The next day was just about the same. The third day we went to a different area the birds there were very wild also but way more birds and I got my limit and my wife got two. The fourth and final day we went back to the same area however there was about six inches of fresh snow on the ground and about 6 degrees out. The birds held great and my brittany did well. We shot 23 birds and had a fantastic day. I will always remember this trip. I learned you need a great retriever or you will loose too many wounded birds that will run on you.

Julius

Julius, great report. 6" of fresh snow is the cats pajamas late season. Really makes em hold tight for ya.

Back