Pheasant Forever banquets starting

remy3424

Attended the Cherokee County banquet last night, a huge attendance, left some money with them, signed up for food plot seed, things sold for good prices. It looked to be a very good night for the chapter. Plymouth County has their next Saturday. Maybe give your local one a bump....you Kansas downers, don't need to comment.

Looks like I need to check into my local chapter
I’m assuming by your handle that you live in Texas. Where is your local chapter? Are there even any PF chapters in Texas?

I’m asking because I’d like to find a PF chapter within reasonable driving distance and get involved.

I believe the quail forever chapters handle both duties but don’t quote me on that. I just recently joined QF because none of my friends are interested in upland hunting. But it appears my local chapter closed down permanently during the covid shut downs. Clubs 3225, 3303 & 3246 are my only choices near Dallas.

I live a good bit west of you, between Abilene and Lubbock.

I did some searching on the PF website and it shows that there’s a chapter in Plainview. I’ve been pheasant hunting around Plainview the last few years, so that would work out well.

I live a good bit west of you, between Abilene and Lubbock.

I did some searching on the PF website and it shows that there’s a chapter in Plainview. I’ve been pheasant hunting around Plainview the last few years, so that would work out well.
Have you ever attended any of the Lion’s Club hunts? Do they produce opportunities for birds?

Have you ever attended any of the Lion’s Club hunts? Do they produce opportunities for birds?
Yes, I’ve hunted the Lions Club hunt at Hart, Texas in both 2019 and 2020. In 2019, we hunted the last weekend of the Texas pheasant season and did well, as bird numbers were decent that year. This past season, I hunted opening day and it was not good. They’d had little rain in all of 2020 and the bird numbers were abysmal. In fact, I only hunted until about 2:30 on opening day then loaded up and came home. There just weren’t enough birds to justify hunting them.

Keep an eye on the weather patterns throughout the year (especially in May, June, and July) for the Texas south plains/panhandle. In years they have decent to good rain the habitat will be good as will the bird numbers. In dry years it’s not really worth the trip.

I have heard good things about the Chamber of Commerce hunt at Olton, Texas but haven’t hunted there myself. Cotton Center also does a pheasant hunt, but haven’t hunted it either.

Thanks for the info. I have been wanting to try one of those hunts for sometime now. Did the panhandle get the snow that Dallas got in February?

Thanks for the info. I have been wanting to try one of those hunts for sometime now. Did the panhandle get the snow that Dallas got in February?
I don’t think they received enough to make any big difference. I would imagine the snow they received was like what we got, really dry with not much moisture.

They’ve been getting some rain up there the past week or so. I keep pretty close tabs on conditions up that way. Check back in with me throughout the summer and I’ll let you know how things are looking.

T
I don’t think they received enough to make any big difference. I would imagine the snow they received was like what we got, really dry with not much moisture.

They’ve been getting some rain up there the past week or so. I keep pretty close tabs on conditions up that way. Check back in with me throughout the summer and I’ll let you know how things are looking.

I appreciate the information very much.

Hey bud. Thought id ask you how the birds are doing up in the panhandle?

They’ve had lots of rain this summer, but I’m not sure on what the bird numbers will be this year. A contact I have in Hart, Texas sent me this text last week, “I have been gone most of the summer but have been back around the first of August
Have talked to some farmers they said have not seen many but you’re right there is better cover but some of the lakes still have water but it’s drying. I’m hoping that’s it better this year.”

So, I’m thinking it’ll be decent but not great this season.

I can’t remember if I replied to your message or not lol. My father and I were planning on going to Nebraska for a hunt this season. But not with the current gas prices. We still want to hit at least one of these community hunts up.

I visited with a guy last week who hunted at Olton last year on opening weekend. He said it was pretty good. The Olton Chamber of Commerce puts on the hunt, but he said they have limited spots and it fills up quickly. He said they assign you to a group and furnish a local to guide you to your hunting locations. I’m not sure if a person can bring their own dogs or not. Personally, it doesn’t sound like my type of hunt, as I’m picky about who I let hunt around my dogs.

Cotton Center and Hart are two other communities that host hunts. The Lions Club in both communities is who organizes things. Both of them can be found on Facebook.

My dog isn’t a jumper but I’m still cautious of who hunts around him. He’s not the most disciplined pointer either so I wouldn’t want him around other dogs. Doesn’t sound like my kind of hunt either, I don’t hunt birds without my dog.

After talking to multiple sources in the Texas panhandle, I don't see myself pheasant hunting there at all this season. A farmer we hunt on in Hale County said he ran a combine for 4 days last week and saw one rooster the entire time. Maybe that's an isolated example, but two other folks in two different counties west of there have both told me they just aren't seeing any birds.

Yeah that doesn’t sound like it’s worth the gas to drive up there.

Do you know anyone who quail hunts NM? I’ve heard the have tons of birds and public land to hunt them on.

Ok, local chapters might use your money for good. But don't give corporate any, it all ends up wasted and in corporate pockets in Mpls, not a fan.

Yeah that doesn’t sound like it’s worth the gas to drive up there.

Do you know anyone who quail hunts NM? I’ve heard the have tons of birds and public land to hunt them on.
I do not know anyone who has quail hunted in NM. There’s definitely a lot of public land there, both NM state land and BLM federal land.

I made a swing out through southeast NM the last week of June/first week of July. I traveled through Hobbs to Artesia up to Roswell. A lot of that country, especially from Artesia to Roswell was just scorched by drought. The only thing green was the little mesquite trees and the alfalfa fields under irrigation. It started raining about two days after I went through there and pretty much rained the rest of the summer. I don’t know what impact that had on their quail hatch, but it might have been too late to help this year.

I’d recommend calling a wildlife biologist in Carlsbad or Roswell and see what they say. Kind of like the panhandle pheasants, that’s a long way to drive with gas as high as it is just to take long, leisurely walks staring at your dogs’ backsides with few to zero birds to show for the expense and effort.

Back