Pheasant Fest in Des Moines and the Farm Bill

Yes, it was the highlight of the show. Learned later that that many were turned away at the door because the room was at capacity. Counted no less than six TV cameras in the back and it was a media frenzy after the forum as reporters tried to get interviews.

Overall, the representatives were positive about conservation but warned that energy needs will command a larger share of future farm bills. There is much speculation about whether high grain prices or the looming use of grass for energy will have a positive or negative impact on wildlife, especially pheasants.

It certainly was a tribute to Pheasants Forever to command such a meeting and forum, which points to their new found lobbying clout. They have come a long way in 24 years.

I am a life member of Pheasants Forever and proud to be a supporter of such a fine organization. I will be attending Pheasant Fest next year in St Paul and can't wait.

LM

Thanks for the report LM. On a side note, do you think there is anything else to be done on a grass roots level (similar to PF) that landowners can create/participate in to help preserve our future?

Yes, I feel that each individual should be encouraged to voice their own opinions to our congressional leaders about how they want farm policy to be drafted. We all have a stake in Farm policy. Farmers have a big stake of course but folks interested in hunting, bird watching and the outdoors have a big stake too as well as those seeking clean water, less soil erosion and cleaner air.

How to do this:

1. Support those organizations that lobby for your point of view. Pheasants Forever is a good choice. Become a life member. Send money. Offer support.

2. Participate in the USDA comment opportunities. Watch the USDA Website for comment periods and then respond. Send your thoughts, concerns and ideas about Farm Policy to them at every opportunity. Be positive in your comments and offer support for your concerns, such as CRP.

3. Attend Farm Forums and provide feedback.

4. Send letters and emails to your congressmen.

5. Some other organizations that you may support are Ducks Unlimited, Safari Club, Izaac Walten League, Arbor Day, PEER.org, Wildlife Federation and many others.

I hope this helps. The main thing is to stand up and be heard. Don't leave it to someone else.

LM

It is very important to voice your opinion about how the Farm Bill should be written. We all have a stake in the outcome, not just farmers. Don't be mislead into believing that all farmers are pushing for conservation programs or wildlife habitat. Some are for more conservation and wildlife programs but many are not.

There was a seminar at Pheasant Fest that was titled "Hunters are Lousy Lobbyists - Why that must change. The Importance of Conservation Politics to Wildlife and You".

Unfortunately, I did not get to this seminar (there was just so much to see and hear) but I'm sure it was informative. Its true, sportsmen have failed to become more involved in Farm Policy - instead they complain about it after the fact. We were lucky in the 2002 Farm Bill because it contained a lot of incentives to provide conservation and wildlife habitat. We are going to enjoy the benefits of the 2002 Farm Bill for several years still but when the Conservation Contracts expire we will lose much of the habitat. Unless, of course, we get a good 2007 Farm Bill. There is still time to be heard. Seek out your representatives and send them your support for Conservation Programs. Fortunately Pheasants Forever has increased its presence and influence in shaping the Farm Bill. They can be your voice also. Do both, send your support directly to your representatives and support organizations such as Pheasants Forever.

LM

When I first put farm ground in CRP, the criteria was strictly based on soil loss from erosion. On upland soils this involved water erosion, due mainly to soil slope and soil type. On sandy soils it involved wind erosion. My soils are all upland soils, but the ground was all terraced, so initially was turned down. Finally, when they reviewed the extreme slope of this ground it was allowed in. The recommended planting was a tall grass mix.

After ten years and the CRP contracts were renewing, the criteria had changed and it was on a competitive bid basis and it involved a scoring system and that system scored wildlife benefits such as legumes and forbs. I truly believe it was the efforts of wildlife conservation groups, such as Pheasants Forever, that caused the Farm Bill to be such that the CRP was extended and that it was extended with additional benefits to the wildlife.

I am grateful and thankful that we still have the CRP program and I hope that we can have another ten years(or more) of a program that has so many benefits to our country; those benefits being cleaner air and water and a vibrant wildlife population.

Maynard Reece Byrd,
A farmer in support of CRP

Hello Maynard;

How are things in Kansas? Has any of the snow melted yet? Cold week here in the Dakota's. How are your cattle doing after the big ice storm?

Spring is coming quickly and its going to be a busy one. I am planting about 150 acres of new CRP native grasses and another 30 acres for a neighbor friend. Also adding 9 acres of trees.

LM

Landman,
The most recent snow here is pretty much gone. The big ice storm of December 29-30th only gave me about three quarter an inch of ice. Ahead of that was four and a half inches of rain. This last snow was about six inches. Recently the nights have been about 10-15 degrees and the days sunny and about 35-40 degrees. I try to get my feeding done first thing of a morning while it is still frozen. After it thaws, it is just like slime for the first two to four inches.

I only lost two calves during the storm, so I felt fortunate. My hay is going fast and it will be gone by March 1st and then I will have to be buying hay.

With the winter moisture, which we have not had for years, it would be a good spring to plant more trees, but I doubt if the time and money is going to permit that. What I do hope to do is moldboard terraces for food plots in the CRP grass, burn and interseed half of the CRP and plant the food plots. That will probably exhaust my finances this year.

There is some thoughts that the Arkansas River could flood this spring. The Arkansas River in Dodge is a little unusual in that the watershed is only a few miles wide on each side the river here. In 1965 there was a major flood caused by heavy rains(ten inch as I recall) in Western Kansas and Eastern Colorado. There was not a drop of rain in Dodge. During that flood there was so much debris in the river channel that the water went out side the dikes and was actually higher than the water in the channel. Dodge City sustained major flood damage from the flood. Since that time the river has gone dry due to dropping water tables and the Army Corps has done flood control. Should a heavy rain come along and melt any remaining snow out west, it could trigger some flooding. Some in Dodge are living with their heads in the sand, thinking that Dodge can never flood again, but I believe it will at some time. Dodge has been trying to build a $40 million dollar special event center and some are promoting it in the flood plain in Wright Park, which is adjacent to the river and flooded in 1965. I just can't see that location; if I tried to pull a building permit for a storage shed in that area it would get turned down.

I congratulate you on all your habitat work. Wish I could see it.

Here is a picture of some of the terraces that I intend to moldboard. The photo was taken pre-CRP. In the 200 acre CRP patch there is eight miles of terraces, so if I plow thirty-five feet wide in the channels I will have about thirty-four acres of food plots. Of the thirty-four acres, 20 acres would be planted to spring planted crops, 7 acres would be in winter wheat and the other 7 acres would be uncut wheat as summer fallow. I really think that this will add a lot to my habitat.

God Bless,
Maynard Reece

Landman & Maynard... Your input is a reminder to us that in today's world, wildlife habitat is often the result of man's efforts, not just an accident of mother nature. It reminded me that I need to renew my PF membership; shame on me for letting it lapse.

JMB

Back