Pheasant Draw/IPLA Hunts

GWP

The results are out for the first set of pheasant draws this year as well as the IPLA hunts. I was unsuccessful in being drawn this year for either hunt but my father was drawn (two years in a row for him) for November 24th. We had a great hunt last year just east of Boswell in Benton County. Needless to say I am very excited to go again this year. He hasn’t been assigned a property yet but it should be soon. Anyone else have any luck?

2 YEARS IN A ROW? WOW! I've been applying for probably 35 years....been dawn twice..
Oh well,
I was drawn for White county something one time...was an "L" shaped property. It was a December hunt and birds were real spooky, flushed way out in front of us. Good luck! I'd LOVE to be hunting up north this year...will have to settle for SD, Iowa and Kansas

Since 1990 I've been drawn about 5 times...(that's over the last roughly 30 years, really not that great!) and the best hunt by far was the first one in November 1990; we hunted the DENO property SW of Goodland; that 80 acres was crawling with birds, spooky as hell! Fun though. Got drawn last year, first time in about 12 years, for a place about 4 miles NE of Fowler. Only saw 2 roosters, got one, few food plots, not well managed, I think it was a brand new property to the system. the place was kind of a bust. Usually though, if you get drawn you stand a good chance of getting shooting, especially early in the season. In mid-late December---good luck! You may see birds but they are ultra spooky.

2 YEARS IN A ROW? WOW! I've been applying for probably 35 years....been dawn twice..
Oh well,
I was drawn for White county something one time...was an "L" shaped property. It was a December hunt and birds were real spooky, flushed way out in front of us. Good luck! I'd LOVE to be hunting up north this year...will have to settle for SD, Iowa and Kansas
Yes we were very surprised he was the one drawn. He almost didn’t apply due to being drawn last year. The property we were selected for appears to be a sideways L. The two properties we have been selected for have both large in acreage. Last years was about 120 acres and this one is 135. From what I have heard some properties are quite small. We will be back from South Dakota roughly a week and half before our hunt so the dogs should be primed. What part of SD do you head to?

Since 1990 I've been drawn about 5 times...(that's over the last roughly 30 years, really not that great!) and the best hunt by far was the first one in November 1990; we hunted the DENO property SW of Goodland; that 80 acres was crawling with birds, spooky as hell! Fun though. Got drawn last year, first time in about 12 years, for a place about 4 miles NE of Fowler. Only saw 2 roosters, got one, few food plots, not well managed, I think it was a brand new property to the system. the place was kind of a bust. Usually though, if you get drawn you stand a good chance of getting shooting, especially early in the season. In mid-late December---good luck! You may see birds but they are ultra spooky.
Thank you! We had a great time last year killing three roosters in early December (should of had 4 but one was winged and ran across the county road onto private property) We were not expecting much so anything was a great time to us. In 9 years with three of us applying we have been drawn twice. Not sure why it was my father twice but you won’t hear me complain :)

We stay in Mitchell....hunt all directions from there.
I have hunted the Mitchell area. Had a great time. For the last several years we have hunted up around Eureka. The bird numbers don’t seem to be as good as around Mitchell but there seems to be a lot less competition.

I have hunted the Mitchell area. Had a great time. For the last several years we have hunted up around Eureka. The bird numbers don’t seem to be as good as around Mitchell but there seems to be a lot less competition.
I've thought about trying another place to get away from the pressure....It's just tough because we finally got it figured out in that area so it's tough to leave and start over.

Congrats to all who were drawn. I have applied for 20 some odd years and have never been drawn. I think that if your drawn then you shouldn't be able to apply again for a certain period off time to give people who haven't ever been drawn a better chance of getting the opportunity to be drawn to hunt.

30 years and drawn one time 2 years ago. Hunting partner 30 years and drawn one time. Funny that I know a couple of hunters who also happen to be in government and they get to hunt almost every year.😒

I've been drawn 5 times since 1990 (a 31 year span so that's not too good either) and two of those times, I really didn't get drawn, my son got drawn for the youth hunt and of course I had to take him. No complaints though; he still makes a fine hunting partner to take to Illinois, Iowa and South Dakota--in fact we're leaving for those places this Saturday.....but I've often wondered how often the DNR and State Government execs "get drawn".....

I know 2 people who were drawn....Goose Creek and Pine Creek. Anybody ever hunted them?
I believe Goose Creek is the property just east of Boswell, IN. If so then I hunted it last year on the very north end which I believe was Goose Creek 1 (there are 3 areas for that property). Which Goose Creek number did they draw?

Both are large multi unit properties. I hunted Pine Creek unit 4 in 2017. Good varied habitat including cattails and tall grasses. Bird numbers seemed somewhat low for the quality of habitat, but we did get 2. I did get selected for Goose Creek unit 1 next month. Any insights would be appreciated.

Both are large multi unit properties. I hunted Pine Creek unit 4 in 2017. Good varied habitat including cattails and tall grasses. Bird numbers seemed somewhat low for the quality of habitat, but we did get 2. I did get selected for Goose Creek unit 1 next month. Any insights would be appreciated.
I hunted Goose Creek 1 last year in mid-December. We saw 5 roosters and roughly 20-25 hens. The property is kind of divided into two sections (east/west) found all the birds with the exception of 3 along the creek on the south edge of the property. 3 of the roosters were along the creek on the southwest corner of the property. We found another rooster along the county road on the east side of the closest food plot to the parking area on the east side of the property. We got our final rooster in the furthest south east corner of the property along the creek below the speedway. Don’t count that spot out. It was full of small saplings and we didn’t figure there would be any birds there but we ended up flushing 5 birds way back in those saplings with one being a rooster which we took. Overall we though the property was great and it is nice that you can hunt half of it then take a lunch break then hunt the other half. If you need any more insight feel free to pm me. Good luck and please let me know how it goes.

Back