Pheasant conditions

Hunters Retreat

SD Redfield and surrounding areas look good this year like most years heavy pockets of birds and some empty. Overall should be a good hunt hens are bringing multiple hatches so look for some barely colored. Have a hunters house available for rent 10 mi north of Redfield in Ashton can handle 4-6 persons large yard and set up for hunters, there is a small family bar 1 block away serves food. Small town of 80 so focused on hunting.

Sorry, there's no such thing as multiple hatches. She'll renest a couple/few times if nests are destroyed, but as soon as one egg hatches, she's done for the year, regardless if any chicks survive or not. Glad to hear things are looking great in the Redfield area.

I think he meant that there were multiple hatches seen, not that there were individual hen having multiple hitches themselves. Besides, he is a S.D. guy w/ a rental. He knows the drill.

I think he meant that there were multiple hatches seen, not that there were individual hen having multiple hitches themselves. Besides, he is a S.D. guy w/ a rental. He knows the drill.
Maybe. "Hens are bringing multiple hatches" had me wondering, obviously. Lots of people actually do think a hen can have multiple broods in a summer.

Maybe he meant “ Trucks are bringing multiple hatches” 😂💪
This made me laugh! The one time I made a trip to a South Dakota farmers place to hunt "wild birds", we did see wild birds, but didn't shoot any.
The few wild birds flew as soon as you pulled up in the pickup and open the door. He said "I'm sure they didn't all fly away let's go ahead and walk this area, I bet there are still 10-12 that didn't fly away.
He was right and they all had flared nostrils and short tail feathers that we had to hold the dogs back to keep them from catching them before they flew! 🤣🤣
I was only disappointed because of the false advertising. We still had a great time shooting our limits in less than 2 hours!

This made me laugh! The one time I made a trip to a South Dakota farmers place to hunt "wild birds", we did see wild birds, but didn't shoot any.
The few wild birds flew as soon as you pulled up in the pickup and open the door. He said "I'm sure they didn't all fly away let's go ahead and walk this area, I bet there are still 10-12 that didn't fly away.
He was right and they all had flared nostrils and short tail feathers that we had to hold the dogs back to keep them from catching them before they flew! 🤣🤣
I was only disappointed because of the false advertising. We still had a great time shooting our limits in less than 2 hours!
Twenty years ago I started making a trip to Sand Lake up by Aberdeen to hunt the refuge when it opened after Deer season. On the northwest side part of it borders a commercial hunting operation. We would pick up a few refugees along the fence where they intersected. One time we were breaking for lunch out on the road when one of the saddest looking roosters came waddling out into the ditch by my truck. I didn’t even have the heart to shoot it. A couple minutes later a couple of Goosemasters buddies came out and blasted it. I doubt they knew any better

Back