Pheasant Breakfast Burritos

Golden Hour

I really wanted to work on some cooking videos this offseason, but I just don't have very good lighting in my kitchen and the two videos I did put together I didn't like, so I didn't finish and publish them. But, I did make some breakfast burritos yesterday and thought some of you might be interested.

Anyway, below is how I make my pheasant sausage and breakfast burritos I can heat up at work. Feel free to add, subtract, adjust all you'd like. Sometimes I'll add in some hashbrowns for something different. The world is your oyster!

Pheasant Sausage
- Grind 2 lbs Pheasant Meat and 1 lb Bacon (cheaper is better, IMO) - Use your wife's KitchenAid mixer or chop the beejeezus out of it with a knife.
- 1.333 Tbsp (4 tsp) Brown Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1.5 tsp Pepper
- 1.5 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1.5 tsp each of: Sage, Thyme and Rosemary *If you don't have fresh, use 1 tsp each.
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
**Mix thoroughly, let rest in the fridge for a couple hours to let the seasonings absorb and then package however you'd like and freeze until use

Burritos
- 1 package of baby bella mushrooms
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 pound of Pheasant Sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 8 ounces salsa of your choice
- Shredded cheese to your liking

1. Brown the mushrooms, when they are about 3/4 cooked, add in the bell pepper. Once the mushrooms are done, pull them off to the side.
2. Brown the pheasant sausage
3. After the pheasant sausage is browned, add the 8 eggs (I scramble them while the mushrooms are cooking)
4. Stir frequently (I'm particular about not having browned egg, just cooked
5. Once the eggs are cooked to your satisfaction, kill the heat
6. Add in your mushrooms and bell pepper, mix
7. Add in the 8 ounces of salsa (more or less, according to your wishes) and mix
8. I lay out 8 tortillas and put in two scoops of the burrito mix
9. Add cheese and wrap *After wrapping in a tortilla, I wrap the finished burrito in a paper towel to prevent the burritos from sticking
10. Put the burritos in a Ziploc baggie and toss in the freezer

Cooking breakfast burritos - Microwave for 90 seconds, flip and microwave again for 90 seconds, let it rest a few minutes and you should be good to go!!

Attachments

• Pheasant Breakfast Burritos.jpg
    Pheasant Breakfast Burritos.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 17
Imagine a world where I already have... With the wild asparagus. No morels have been found by this CNP.
Of course wild. Real South Dakotans don't do pen-reared asparagus. And s'long as you put in SOME mushrooms, that's infinitely better than none. Did you run out morels? All killed by the devastating winter?

Not sure where morels are at in this area. I've heard of some an hour north, but that's way too far to be doing any kind of hunting, let alone mushroom hunting.

Nice. I'm a "light" breakfast eater in the summer but come hunting time at the motel, I like hardier and quick. Five straight days of oatmeal just got "scrambled" up! I like the thought of being able to keep it as "healthy" as you want as my sausage often crumbles without the "good stuff" to hold it together. A wrap solves that. Now if you can figure out a way to make it burpless as I chase Ilee through the cattails.......
Thanks for posting.

Nice! Pretty sure you saw my Pheasant Jalapeno Popper Sausage recipe on the Facebook...it would be fun to collaborate on a hunting/cooking video! I could show you a couple recipes and you can show me your best hunting spots 😂. Looks great by the way!

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_112028745.jpg
    IMG_20230527_112028745.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Not sure where morels are at in this area. I've heard of some an hour north, but that's way too far to be doing any kind of hunting, let alone mushroom hunting.
Use to find a ton of them down around Elk Point along the Missouri, been a long time since I've been able to look though. What about ramps/wild leeks? All kinds of fun stuff you can do with them! Just made ramp pasta last night actually.

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_184655322.jpg
    IMG_20230531_184655322.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Back