PF Going into farming?

wesslpointer

PF Acquires 2,700 acres ranch in Hammer Idaho! Do you think they should farm for the production of pheasants and promote the pheasant industry. Are put it back to native sage brush and grasses? And be happy with "sustainable pheasant population" by "restore wildlife habitat" TO "benefit greatly the existing numbers" Does anyone else find how they are promoting this STRANGE?

Last edited:
I went to the PF site and found nothing about this. Could you post a link? I know PF is a Prairie Grouse Partner, and there is a big push to save the Sage Hen, and it's habitat. Without reading the article I guess my opinion would be that preserving any property for the benefit of any gamebird is worthwhile. I also have heard that the USFW is actively managing wildlife refuges to the detriment of pheasants, and presumablly Chuckars and Huns, because they are not native.

Finally found it in a press release " In the weeds" heading. I see nothing but good news. Sounds like a a property which has more of a waterfowl value, but I'm sure provides winter cover, native forage and nesting cover used by pheasants. Better than putting in vacation homes.

I think its to preserve bird habitat, theres been much discusuion about it here, sounds good but i dont know the details, i guess theres a dedication i was invited to, if i havent missed it i will find out more there

I went to the PF site and found nothing about this. Could you post a link? I know PF is a Prairie Grouse Partner, and there is a big push to save the Sage Hen, and it's habitat. Without reading the article I guess my opinion would be that preserving any property for the benefit of any gamebird is worthwhile. I also have heard that the USFW is actively managing wildlife refuges to the detriment of pheasants, and presumablly Chuckars and Huns, because they are not native.
I think you may be right about the non native. 950 ac to federal wrp, us dept of agriculture, us fish and wildlife "public access for appropriate outdoor pursuits" ??? can you post the Pf Jan 18 release? Does anyone know if theres any one on the board other than fed. & state biologists?

Finally found it in a press release " In the weeds" heading. I see nothing but good news. Sounds like a a property which has more of a waterfowl value, but I'm sure provides winter cover, native forage and nesting cover used by pheasants. Better than putting in vacation homes.
I think its A lot bigger than vacation homes. The fed is spending 30 million on grouse habitat in Idaho this year alone. I think its to off set puting in power lines and wind mills on sage brush public lands. There doing most of the habitat restoration next to farm lands. This well change how and maybe "MUST" the state f&g well regulate these lands. In Idaho 99% of all uplands birds harvested or non-native. If grouse are put on the endangered list it well have a greater impact on bird hunting as the focus for the possible closeure and restoration well be the farm grown where the non-native know live. IF Pf is leading the charge to get the fed $ I sure hope they have looked at how it well afect Pheasant hunting!

Last edited:
Isn't ironic that the The largest acquisition in the history of PF is put under "weeds"! But isn't that the way biologists are trained to think? Only native is right and all others or "invasive species". In Idaho turkeys,pheasants,chukar,gray partridge, Quail and non-migratory doves or concerned to be non-native "invasive species". This PF acquisition is right next to a 10,000 ac Federal NWR that must look at them "invasive" in this way! I feel that the hunters of these non-natives or the natives best friends and should be supported not "ruled OFF"

Last edited:
Marty Wildlife Area ?

Would this be the Marty Wildlife Area that was written about in the latest magazine ? My son lives in Idaho & looks like this might be an area worth exploring. Anyone know any details or experience in this area ? Thanks.

Sad!!!!

Would this be the Marty Wildlife Area that was written about in the latest magazine ? My son lives in Idaho & looks like this might be an area worth exploring. Anyone know any details or experience in this area ? Thanks.
I checked out the "marty" this week plus mud lake wma and Camas nat wildlife Refuge they total over 20,000. acres. Never saw a pheasant talked to the state manager I was told there are very few. Great cover, farm fields, ponds but I suspect lacks a winter feed supply. Seams no one cares about wild Pheasants they stock pen raised plus Pf is planning on GIVEING the 2,700 acre its acquired to the state WMA and the feds who by law cant do anything to promote Pheasants!!! Its all about CONSERVATION of native things. Just thought pheasant hunters might want to know how there Licence money and PF donations are being spent. :(

Marty

I inquired about the Marty to PF & was told they were going to develop the area for pheasant hunting over the next few years. Will have to see what happens.

I inquired about the Marty to PF & was told they were going to develop the area for pheasant hunting over the next few years. Will have to see what happens.
Its my understanding that half of the 20,000 acres are owned by "federal" National wildlife refuge witch by law cant do any thing to promote a non native. And the state has not been able to figure how to raise wild pheasants on its 10,000 acres. What impact well PF have on this entire area with its 2,700 acres and how long well it last after PF gives it to them? Does any one know some one on the habitat committee would like to here from them. There needs to be a plan for the hole area.

Last edited:
Mud lake area

Hear last year was great. Don't do much upland hunting up there though. More land for birds is a good thing. Plus you got that caned bird place up there to kick out a few extra birds into the "wild" land.

Back