Pelee Island Pheasant Video

1pheas4

Here's a nice video of some pheasants on Pelee Island (Canada). This Island was a huge pheasant producer quit of few years ago. Today Canada releases a lot of birds prior to the seasonâ??s opening. Enjoy.

Uguide, I promise there's no sponsors this time.:) Sorry about my mistake on the previous video posting:( 1PHEAS4

1:30 (min.) Is an Melenistic Mutant Pheasant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgxOKPvtBQQ

LOL! I just watched the video and when the birds started cackling, my GSP jumped up off the floor and ran to the window then to the door. It was pretty funny! Neat vid by the way, thanks for sharing.

The Pelee Island pheasants are good looking roosters, they only have one little problem. The pheasants on this video are much too tame, they are pen-raised pheasants.
If those were wild pheasants in western Kansas or the Oklahoma-Texas panhandle (60 or 70 generations of wild genes) a person with a hand held camera could never get that close to them.
Truly wild pheasants flushing wing-beat are like humming birds very rapid. Those Pelee pheasants were flying in slow motion.
I don't have anything against pen-raised pheasants because that's how the wild birds got started after an initial high mortality. However, I strongly believe in wilder more alert and wary strains of pen-raised pheasants such as the Manchurian-ring-neck,the White-winged pheasant or the Sichuan (Strauchi) pheasant. These are authentic wild subspecies of the wild ring-neck pheasant and are much more alert wary and wilder than most pen-raised pheasants.
The Melanistic Mutant pheasant is just a mutant of the "game-farm" ring-neck. The mutant is not a sign of wildness but a sign of domestication.

The Pelee Island pheasants are good looking roosters, they only have one little problem. The pheasants on this video are much too tame, they are pen-raised pheasants.
If those were wild pheasants in western Kansas or the Oklahoma-Texas panhandle (60 or 70 generations of wild genes) a person with a hand held camera could never get that close to them.
Truly wild pheasants flushing wing-beat are like humming birds very rapid. Those Pelee pheasants were flying in slow motion.
I don't have anything against pen-raised pheasants because that's how the wild birds got started after an initial high mortality. However, I strongly believe in wilder more alert and wary strains of pen-raised pheasants such as the Manchurian-ring-neck,the White-winged pheasant or the Sichuan (Strauchi) pheasant. These are authentic wild subspecies of the wild ring-neck pheasant and are much more alert wary and wilder than most pen-raised pheasants.
The Melanistic Mutant pheasant is just a mutant of the "game-farm" ring-neck. The mutant is not a sign of wildness but a sign of domestication.

preston1,
the melanistic mutant pheasant is a pure breed according to this link; mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/melanistic_mutant_pheasant.html
i dont know but several other web sights state the same things the above link states. one states it came from ferral phz is england. :confused:

Last edited:
jmac,

For those of us that care about pheasants this is a good book to read, the section on the "True Pheasant". Your local library should have a copy (or Amazon.com if you want a copy).
The name of the book is: "The Pheasants of the World" by Jean Delacour.
On pages 294 and 295 he explains Mutations color Phases.
In the real wild, wild true pheasant world of wild pheasants 200 years ago the mutant pheasant as we know it today did not exist.
This man's spent his entire life studying pheasants. According to Delacour the mutants came from pen-raised European and American game-farm pheasants.
The wild mutant stock in England were released back into the wild or escaped from shooting preserves.

I heard that another good true pheasant book is coming out soon:
by: James Pfarr
"A Noble Quarry True Pheasants Around The World".

Good observation preston1 on the pen-birds.:) I mentioned in my fist post that this island was a huge pheasant producer decades ago. Now many of the birds on the island are released by the Canadian Gov't prior to seasonâ??s opening. Still any enjoyable video.

As far as those Manchurian, Afghan-White wing, and Sichuan pheasants youâ??re speaking of, youâ??re speaking my language my friend!:thumbsup:

Though unfortunately putting the Manchurian aside, youâ??re pressed to find Afghan-White wings or Sichuan in the wild except in some remote places in New Mexico (white wing) and Mich. (Sichuan). I'm hoping for a trip to New Mexico in the near future for some wild Afghan-White wings. They are one heck of a flyer and by far my favorite pheasant. I've put a link below so others can see what a tough little rooster those guys are.:cheers:

http://www.picsearch.com/imageDetai...k&width=1263&start=181&q=Ring-necked Pheasant

preston1

jmac,

For those of us that care about pheasants this is a good book to read, the section on the "True Pheasant". Your local library should have a copy (or Amazon.com if you want a copy).
The name of the book is: "The Pheasants of the World" by Jean Delacour.
On pages 294 and 295 he explains Mutations color Phases.
In the real wild, wild true pheasant world of wild pheasants 200 years ago the mutant pheasant as we know it today did not exist.
This man's spent his entire life studying pheasants. According to Delacour the mutants came from pen-raised European and American game-farm pheasants.
The wild mutant stock in England were released back into the wild or escaped from shooting preserves.

I heard that another good true pheasant book is coming out soon:
by: James Pfarr
"A Noble Quarry True Pheasants Around The World".

look this book up on the library of congress, cant find it, by author , or by title. :mad:

All that I know is that when the roosters started to cackle and fly my GSP ran up to my laptop and pointed it.....:thumbsup: Now he's whining at the front door wanting to go to the truck.

The Sichuan in Michigan was a huge bust. The theory was they would nest in marginal white tail deer habitat. The problem was given a choice they would go to the hay fields if available and the nest were destroyed do to multiple cuttings.

Back