Peak Wingshooting?

niceshot

At what age or age range does the ability to shoot wild birds peak? Is there a point when experience looses the battle with visual acuity and reaction time? Would this be the same for clay target shooters? Or is being past our prime altogether too depressing a topic for the middle of February?

Last edited:
I'm not sure one can put an age to it. We all know as we get older we lose some of our visual acuteness, but I know some fellas that are getting up there in age that can still shoot with any of the young kids. Shooting whether it be ringnecks or clay targets is much about experience. The longer you've been at something or the more practice at your craft the better your performance.

Starting out as a youth and developing your wingshooting skills early certainly leads to a much more skillful wingshooter later in adult life. Ultimately it is how often one keeps their skills sharp as to whether they continue to improve or their skills diminish. If more avid wingshooters would take the time and practice at the range more often during the off season, you would be amazed at how much more proficient you'd become during the hunting season.

I took up Sporting Clays back in 1990 for something fun to do with my shotgun in the off season. That led to a long stretch of competing in tournaments around the state and many times different parts of the country. It undoubtedly had a dramatic affect on my wingshooting skills and was very enjoyable to boot. I can honestly say I'm a much better shot now pushing 50 then I was in my early to mid 20's.

Last edited:
Let start by saying I'm 75 and have been down the road a few times. I shoot Trap about a 2 times a week weather and health permitting. I am finding yes, at my age I do take a little longer to see and catch up to the bird. I find the reflexes are a bigger problem than vision. I shoot with my son he is 51 and his reflexes are quick and he shoots very well. At what age do you get over the hill? I'd say it is different for all shooters. One it depends on how much you Practice to help hone your reflexes. I found it to be a gradual thing. One day I discovered I was shooting my birds further out. I other thing I found as I got older it was and is harder to do. That is concentration, I find it very hard to keep my concentration going. When shooting Trap, they claim you only have to really concentrate for about 86 seconds on a full round.----Bob

Last edited:
It seemed like my dad shot his best at wild birds in his 50's. I would say my shooting is improving the older I get because I'm taking my time more. There's probably some point our shooting will decline, just don't tell me.

It seemed like my dad shot his best at wild birds in his 50's. I would say my shooting is improving the older I get because I'm taking my time more. There's probably some point our shooting will decline, just don't tell me.

Whoooo, Hooooooo,:10sign:, I might not walk so well but good to know my better shooting is still comin. :D :cheers:. Don't know, I have ups and downs when your hot your hot, when your not your not.

At what age or age range does the ability to shoot wild birds peak?

I am afraid that you will probably never hit your peak because you do not get to hunt enough. It is better to marry one than be one.

Is pheasant hunting the greatest or what? Can you think of one other thing where a 50 year old married white male who might be little overweight is just hitting his prime? I think all of you need to take a few moments of silence right there in front your laptop and give thanks.

Back