Pay To Get Access?

Left and Right

Planning a trip down to Montana from Alberta here at home it is illegal to charge for access I can?t say it doesn?t happen but in 23 years of hunting I have never been asked to pay.

I am not rich but not poor either and the northern peso is going to pinch a bit to turn into real money. I wouldn't expect to be charged on every place I ask but if I ran into someone that did what would I expect to pay.

Left to right,

I am moving this thread to the mont forum. It will get more attention there.

Planning a trip down to Montana from Alberta here at home it is illegal to charge for access I can?t say it doesn?t happen but in 23 years of hunting I have never been asked to pay.

I am not rich but not poor either and the northern peso is going to pinch a bit to turn into real money. I wouldn't expect to be charged on every place I ask but if I ran into someone that did what would I expect to pay.

To me there's no need. We've hunted Montana for about a decade now and there's a LOT of public ground available for hunting. Not sure what area you are headed to or what birds you are looking for, but there's plenty of places to hunt without even having to "ask" permission.

I have no idea on Montana, never pheasant hunted there, but it is on my bucket list someday! In South Dakota you can expect to pay roughly $150 (give or take $50) per day per gun. I would assume Montana is not that high, but I have no idea.

Are you thinking this year still? If so you shouldn't have to pay anything, maybe a good bottle of crown or jack. Most will tell you to have at 'er. Toughest part will be finding landowners around with winter sports going at school and holidays approaching. I know of a couple outfitters for deer on the highline, one does a bit of bird hunting, but hunts waterfowl himself. Next fall is a different deal, best to make connections this summer.

Can't say I've ever made it up that far NE bird hunting. But if you get some region maps you'll find plenty of places to hunt that are Block Management Areas that will suit your fancy just fine.

It will be fall of 2017 that we are coming down.
Just trying to get an idea of what to expect and from the sounds of it a land owner could ask but likely isn?t the norm. The guy I am heading down with has maps and more of an idea of where to head then me.
If I see one rattle snake my truck will be headed north pretty fast!

There isn't that much pay hunting in Montana, except in the Lewistown area.Some of the block management is good, some is sketchy, it depends on how hard it gets hunted. A lot of out of state hunters, hunt only block management, and state ground. Generally, most ranchers won't let a group of people on, that they don't know, if, they have good bird hunting. If hunting alone, your chances of getting on decent private ground improve. You have to approach them right, drive an old beater truck, don't have a bunch of dogs, ect.

Ya I can understand not trying to look to flashy. Our premier permission seeker won?t be coming I have seen that guy go into a land owners house and not come out for 45 min. ?She was such a nice lady? mentioned for the next couple days?
I really only see two of us going not that it takes a lot but there is a small amount of paper work to have in order and it can?t be done on a last min.

Oh come on ya big sissy! After this year I'm more worried about the heat and wind beating us down again.

The big W
Something I am going to work on this summer is getting the dog to drink out of a water bottle like yours. The weather in southern Alberta was crazy warm a month earlier I had already hunted in snow and had frozen beaver ponds. Changing to 80f was a shocker.

Last edited:
Ya I can understand not trying to look to flashy. Our premier permission seeker won?t be coming I have seen that guy go into a land owners house and not come out for 45 min. ?She was such a nice lady? mentioned for the next couple days?
I really only see two of us going not that it takes a lot but there is a small amount of paper work to have in order and it can?t be done on a last min.

I talked to a rancher north of Lewistown one time, and he said he always turned the guys in newer trucks down . He liked my 25 year old ford beater. Let me hunt, and it was great...

There is an art, to getting permission , having the gift of gab, helps a lot.Also, not having a lot of people, or dogs, smelling of money, being pretentious, ect...

Back