Party Hunting

Birdman2

I could not transfer a page from PF, that states what Party Hunting includes. It also states there are 5 states that do not allow it. MN and SD allow it. I wonder what the thinking of the DNR agencies that prohibit it?

Idk what the thought process is for outlawing it. I'm guessing maybe related to helping bird numbers? Take an example that I've had happen often while hunting here in MN.

Multiple times that I'm hunting with my dad, I'll end up shooting 3 birds to his 1. Usually because for one it's my dogs and I'm close to them and working them and second I'm younger and am more willing to bust ass through cattails or hit that far back corner my 65 year old dad may not have the legs for on a particular day.

If MN was a no party hunting state, instead of shooting 4 roosters one day, it might have been 3 since I'd have had to stop after my 2nd. That's really the only thing I can think of. Other than that, I don't see why they would outlaw it.

I could not transfer a page from PF, that states what Party Hunting includes. It also states there are 5 states that do not allow it. MN and SD allow it. I wonder what the thinking of the DNR agencies that prohibit it?

They are thinking, "shoot your own limit". One guy takes 2 buddies that only shoot once a year and got drunk the night before and he shoots all 9 birds. that's 6 more that probably would have been killed if the bozos had to shoot their own birds... 6 more birds for the rest of the state's hunters to try for.

I absolutely break open the gun, stay 2 steps back, and let others shoot their own birds when i limit out.

They are thinking, "shoot your own limit". One guy takes 2 buddies that only shoot once a year and got drunk the night before and he shoots all 9 birds. that's 6 more that probably would have been killed if the bozos had to shoot their own birds... 6 more birds for the rest of the state's hunters to try for.

I absolutely break open the gun, stay 2 steps back, and let others shoot their own birds when i limit out.
I occasionally hunt with a few buddies that shoot better and are quicker than me- being quicker means they would shoot all the birds. My rule is you shoot your own birds
I don’t go hunting to have someone else shoot my birds. If I don’t shoot them today the birds will be there tomorrow for another go at them

I've never liked it and have never done it. Bad manners if you ask me.
Idk what the thought process is for outlawing it. I'm guessing maybe related to helping bird numbers? Take an example that I've had happen often while hunting here in MN.

Multiple times that I'm hunting with my dad, I'll end up shooting 3 birds to his 1. Usually because for one it's my dogs and I'm close to them and working them and second I'm younger and am more willing to bust ass through cattails or hit that far back corner my 65 year old dad may not have the legs for on a particular day.

If MN was a no party hunting state, instead of shooting 4 roosters one day, it might have been 3 since I'd have had to stop after my 2nd. That's really the only thing I can think of. Other than that, I don't see why they would outlaw it.
Why not take 5 guys and one guy can shoot 15? Why not just do away with limits? I say if the limit is three rosters it's three rooster's period.

I have come to realize it is more fun for everyone to shoot their own birds. I may have been guilty of being a shooting hog, but I have changed and enjoy seeing everyone in a group get some success or get to keep trying after the ones paying attention have their birds. I didn't realize this was not legal in Iowa until just a few years ago...and I am 60! The DNR fella that straightened me out, thought it was ridiculous they allow party hunting for deer in IOWA. It does seen to make sense, it is your limit, you need to fill it.

Every once in while that does happen...if there is any questions, I will just let the other fella add it to their bag and keep going. Never a big deal.

We go by whoever's shot it should have been and almost always the other shooter apologizes because its usually just excitement and not anyone trying to be a game hog. Usually it happens when a bird flushes between two of us, but by the time the triggers are pulled its more in front of one guy and that is who claims it. Unless one guy knows he missed of course. Finishing other guy's cripples/hit birds, i usually take it to the guy who hit it first if my dog retrieves it.

Like you said, not a big deal

Every once in while that does happen...if there is any questions, I will just let the other fella add it to their bag and keep going. Never a big deal.
What remy says. If there is any doubt, I'll give it to the other guy. It might be the only one he gets that day.

I assume it's outlawed just so you can't have multiple people show up just so one person can shoot more than their limit. Like bringing multiple kids who might just sit in the car and then saying your 15 birds was equally shot by everyone.

It would take a lot of work for a warden to know you shot more than your limit if you are in a group, unless you make super obvious like walking out of the field carrying more than limit while your buddies were still back at the car.

As for doing it where it's legal. I think it should be discussed in the group before starting out or once reaching a limit. Someone shooting one more than their limit doesn't bother me at all and I would hate to make them go sit in the truck or walking without being able to shoot. But if they are getting 2 limits they should be taking it easy and letting others have a chance.

I hunt with a couple buddies a lot. Some days your in the right spot sometimes your not. What I don’t like are spot hogs, guys that always run to the best spots. I’d say if you’ve got a lot of shooting let the other choose first on the place to walk. But you’re also there to hunt, being ready, not playing grab ass as some say, having gun ready, not in a sling, having a want to. Hunting in a group is fun hunting in a group

Party hunting I can take or leave. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw where which way the birds flush. As long as the group is all on the same page on whether you are party hunting or not. When I take my son and his buddy, I have no problem if they shoot my birds, as long as party hunting is allowed.

Party hunting I can take or leave. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw where which way the birds flush. As long as the group is all on the same page on whether you are party hunting or not. When I take my son and his buddy, I have no problem if they shoot my birds, as long as party hunting is allowed.
I agree with you that a lot of it is just luck. That like may depend a bit on each situation, like when I've brought a couple buddies hunting that don't have dogs. A lot of the action is by me with the dog. But doing a big line, drive style hunt, completely luck which way the bird goes or who makes the shot.

It's kind of like fishing. 3 guys can be in a boat and one guy is catching all the fish even though everyone is using the same lure and bait.

I am right with MIforester on this one. Each party can decide.

Grew up in ND and party hunting is definitely not allowed.

Waterfowl ... party hunting is prohibited in all states, albeit a difficult violation to identify and enforce. In some states you better have your birds separated in the boat or blind and definitely in transit. Tagging birds with name, license number, etc... is not uncommon.

I am against party hunting. It brings out the worst in me and many, many others. If it works for you or your group, I applaud your restraint and decorum. But for me nothing more reliably saps a hunt of it's potential to be a meditation on movement, nature and beauty and turns it into a venile, nasty, little competition.

I am against party hunting. It brings out the worst in me and many, many others. If it works for you or your group, I applaud your restraint and decorum. But for me nothing more reliably saps a hunt of it's potential to be a meditation on movement, nature and beauty and turns it into a venile, nasty, little competition.
Well said...

Back