paper maps

Bob Peters

I know that everything is on a computer now, but I was wondering if there's any paper maps worth getting? I have an old gazeteer of MN that I need to find. There used to be something called PRIM maps I believe. I do use my flip phone a lot for the dnr mobile recreation compass, etc. but am still a junky for paper maps. And they're nice as a backup in case my phone dies, is lost etc.

I would purchase a DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer for that state (topographic maps) you want to hunt. I go to SD to shoot prairie dogs and it is very helpful out there...it shows everything from interstates to 2 track paths it seems. You can highlight and write notes in it, but for private ground, you still need to figure-out the ownership to gain permission. Public ground and rez ground is identified. For SD, I would not leave home without it. For Iowa, there wouldn't be much use for it, a map at the welcome center shows everything, not too many "undeveloped" areas here.

I tried the Mn bookstore for PRIM maps 1-2 yrs ago, and they are pretty much done, it seems...didn't have many of the popular areas, and didn't sound like they would be renewed. Maybe try them though?

A good alternative is the Walk-In Access booklet. It not only shows the Walk-in areas but WMA as well.

Gazetter is still the best map book out there for most states MN included. Can also go to the MN DNR Recreation compass map system and zoom into an area and hit the print button.

I have pretty much switched over to onX Maps and love the offline map function.

IMO your best bet for a paper map or map book is the Sportsman's Connection All Outdoors Atlas. They show everything you'll want to know about, state forest, WMAs, WPAs, etc. They won't show Walk In Areas since those arent always enrolled year to year but other than that, they have it all.

The only draw back is they're almost 30 bucks a book, and there's 3 books for the entire state of Minnesota if I remember right. I just buy the book for the area I hunt in and call it good.

I'll just add that the DeLorme Atlas isn't as detailed as it used to be. I bought a new (no rips/torn or missing pages, coffee stains, etc) atlas a couple years ago and it didn't have a lot of the WMA's or other areas of interest that the previous one did.

I always use the Delorme atlas as a back up to my All Outdoors Atlas. Just for roads and things like that, the Delorme usually has all the different names for the rural roads.

Back