Our SD trip

Left AR late Saturday night after I finished teaching a Hunter Ed class and my friend got done with a rodeo. Got to SD middle of the day on Sunday and got our license (more on that later) and then headed out. We have been very fortunate to make some contacts up there and the guy once again had some birds.

We were able to get pheasants off the private areas and found one covey of huns as well and were able to get two. Even though we had a few pheasants where we hunted, we still spent each morning scouting new locations for future reference and found a nice bunch of grouse on public ground but were not able to do anything with them.

All in all we saw me more pheasants then we thought we might given the reports we had heard. We saw several "random roosters" as we call them, on the roadsides as well a few bunches here and there. We did see several grouse scattered around.

Thanks for sharing your state with us. Back to the license - we did buy it on Dec 15 so we have 5 days to use next year. I really believe I would like to target grouse early in the season. How crowded is it up there with just grouse season going on? Thinking about the same areas we saw those this year, I would assume their should still be some in the area but also considering going to the Grasslands.

Thanks again for all the info I have gotten on this site and look forward to next year.

I don't think you would find many other hunters for early season grouse, and the season is the same time for huns.:cheers:

Back