Our Last Hunt?

walk213

Pride is on the back nine of his hunting life. He is over ten years old, and has recently demonstrated signs of slowing down in the field. Despite keeping him in good condition, the grind associated with hunting wild birds pushes him to his physical limits. At day's end, he is beyond exhausted, and the body aches are obvious.

The 2013 - 2014 upland season in eastern, Colorado has been challenging. The bird population is significantly down from just two years ago. That said you're not going to experience success sitting on your couch. In addition, given Pride's advanced age, who knows how many trips are left for us? So when the alarm went off at 3:40 am, I was motivated to make my way two and a half hours east to my favorite grounds in Phillips County.

During my drive, I checked the forecast for the day ahead. Forty degrees and a steady fifty mile per hour northwest wind were not ideal hunting conditions.

As I approached our first field, the excitement started to build. The area is a favorite of mine, but had yet to produce this season. We made the forty minute walk, but never saw a single sign of a pheasant. I texted my rancher friend and asked if we could hunt his land. With permission granted, Pride and I drove the five miles to the property. The strong winds made our strategy clear; point Pride into the wind and see if we could surprise some birds. I directed Pride to a series of trees that line the north side of the land. It did not take long for him to get birdy. The first hen jumped up about ten yards in front of us, followed by three more ladies. While we did not find our intended target, the action did get the blood pumping.

We made our way across the road where the CRP is thick. A large cornfield neighbors the tall grass, so I decided we would bisect the land and hunt the relevant corners. As we made our way west toward the corn, I gripped my Beretta a bit tighter as I thought we could see some action. Pride started to move with purpose as we walked the berm separating the CRP from the corn. As his pace quickened, I worked myself into position. The rooster exploded about fifteen yards in front of me, and immediately absorbed the power of the wind. Although he was close, I was not prepared for the absolute speed, and missed on my first two shots. HEVI-Shot shell number three clipped his right wing, and the pheasant tumbled to the ground.

Pride and I enjoyed a water break before making our way to a Walk in Area (WIA) just to our east. The field has great cover, and feed is accessible on all four sides. The ferocious wind kicked up significant dust storms, and that made the pursuit challenging. About half way down the tree line, Pride changed direction, and bounded to my right. A hen made her way through the tumbleweeds, and stood motionless for about five seconds before flying into the cornfield. A few "no bird" calls had us back on course marching west. Pride started to quickly cover ground, signaling birds were on the move. As I picked up my pace, two hens exploded less than ten yards away from me. Consciously, I slowed down with the hope that a rooster was being coy. Within seconds of making the decision to decelerate, a rooster busted from his concealed position just out of my range. After one futile shot, the colorful bird caught a massive tailwind, and accelerated into the mid-afternoon sun. Immediately, I second guessed my strategy.

I took Pride southeast in order to better position us to hunt the last corner of the CRP. During our walk I noticed that my dog was favoring his left rear leg. I removed some sandburs from his paws, but he continued to limp. As we approached the corner of the field, Pride started to get birdy. He circled the field's edge for almost five minutes before a hen took off into the adjacent cornfield. Realizing that Pride was either injured or drained, I decided to head back to the truck.

On our way home, I wondered if this could have been our last hunt together. The bond that Pride and I have developed over the last three and one half years is strong. Hopefully we have more adventures ahead.

http://www.huntfishgolfwork.com/last-hunt/

http://youtu.be/b4bOxLAci90

Last edited:
i enjoyed your story and the you tube video, makes we even more anxious for Friday. I've been watching the weather for this Friday as I will be hunting the final day as I have for several years, but it really doesn't matter what it is like I will be out east for the annual final day hunt.

Thanks SHH. Good luck Friday. I am planning to take the day off and hunt as well. Pride seems to have recovered from the last trip. I look forward to hear how you make out.

Thanks for sharing your story. My pup is 4 years old and I take her every chance I get. I know one day her body will get old even though the GSP in her will make her push on. The day when I am no longer able to hunt her will come and I want to make sure I've given her every opportunity to do what she loves best. We will chase those wily cockbirds every season, all season until that day comes.

The bond between a hunter and his/her dog is indescribable. Dixie (like pride, I'm sure) is the best hunting partner I could have. She continues to drive hard, even through the bad days.

Give that old dog some extra love. They all deserve it.

I appreciate the read, Ain't Whistlin' Dixie.

You're spot on. The chance to be with Pride, doing what he loves, provides me great satisfaction. It is the absolute effort, despite the limited success, that always amazes me.

Dixie has plenty of great hunting years left. That is a good thing for you both.

Hopefully, we get some moisture over the next few months, and the bird population responds. Rewarding the dogs every so often is a good thing.

I'm not going to try to be as prosey as you, but I am in much the same boat. This year my 11+ YO lab only lasted about a half-day if the temp was over 35 or so (it usually was). We went out Saturday and Sunday, and ended up with 4 roosters and 2 quail. He flushed and retrieved 2 of the phez and both quail, so if it does end up his last year, he went out on a good note!

Overall, I didn't think it was that bad of a year. Yes, numbers were down dramaticallly, but I ended up with 8 birds in 4 trips, 7 days total - not that bad. One thing I noticed was that the birds - both hens and roosters - were holding ridiculously tight all season long. This probably helped me bag a few more than I would have had they been behaving more "normal", but I also think I walked over more than usual, which means my average of seeing 8 or 9 birds a day was not representative of how many are out there. I also don't hunt the primary pheasant belt - I've always sought out the marginal (fewer hunters!) areas, and done pretty well.

Anyway - as many others have said, here's hoping for more Spring moisture and a great hatch!

COKID,

Not trying to be prosey. Just the way I write.

Very successful trip. Congratulations. Is is nice to hear that your senior dog is still executing in the field. Gives me hope that Pride can still hunt next year.

COKID,

Not trying to be prosey. Just the way I write.

Very successful trip. Congratulations. Is is nice to hear that your senior dog is still executing in the field. Gives me hope that Pride can still hunt next year.

Hey Walk - wasn't trying to be critical! I like good stories, and I am certainly capably of writing a novel in a forum when I have the time. It's all good.

Two things I think aid in longevity for older dogs (I've only had 2, but I've had a vet agree with me on this): 1) keep them moderately active all year long - short walks, etc., and 2) feed them easily-digested food, but keep the pounds off!

COKID,

Did not mean to come off defensive. Some people read, some people write. I enjoy the writing. I am attempting to add a little multi-media to the content.

I appreciate the advice on how to take care of an aging gun dog. We are doing what we can to keep him in shape and feeling good.

I have put to rest three labs, I have three now (two females and a yellow male, my first pointing lab) however I can still remember like it was yesterday my first three labs last hunt.

Thank you for sharing, I was hoping that it would have ended with a rooster.

They just don't live forever unfortunately and when they are in their prime it is the best!!

God bless,
Greg

I enjoy your adventures. I have been living vicariously through you and some others on the forum because of an injury. One more back surgery in Feb to fuse me up and I pray I can walk for birds once again. This will be number 3 in 12 months. My dogs hate me. So, keep on writing and taking pic's!!:thumbsup:

I enjoy your adventures. I have been living vicariously through you and some others on the forum because of an injury. One more back surgery in Feb to fuse me up and I pray I can walk for birds once again. This will be number 3 in 12 months. My dogs hate me. So, keep on writing and taking pic's!!:thumbsup:

Hey Bleu,

Hang in there buddy. Hope they get you fixed up, soon. :thumbsup:

Hello Bleu and Greg,

-I dread the day I have to put Pride to rest.
-Get better Bleu; we need you back in the game - the back is tricky. Do your rehab and I am sure you will be ok
-Pride has been doing well since our last hunt. I was contemplating heading out tomorrow for one final trip. That said, I just returned from work and the road were terrible. I will make a decision early tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone who is heading out tomorrow. Be safe.

a bottle of my wine just might do wonders for your back

get better and cheers

Nicely written - I enjoyed it, although the title of course makes the idea of a last hunt bittersweet. I may have already had my last with my yellow lab Ruby. She had suffered a really stubborn soft-tissue injury in her shoulder at 8 years old and despite all our best efforts to treat it over the spring/summer, this year I only hunted her twice before deciding that the re-injury that it was causing to her shoulder was more than just a "long recovery" and that it would be unfair to continue hunting her. So she was "benched" for the season, but in the back of my mind, I know that this could be her retirement... On a positive note, she is doing quite well now, but I don't dare allow myself to develop expectations for this fall. We'll just keep extending the walks and do lots of swimming this summer. I've reached a point of acceptance now that she has long ago earned the right to live out her days as a cherished member of our family, even if she can't still join me pheasant hunting. In any case, enough about me - LOL - I only wanted really to say that many of have been, are, or will be where you are right now, so we understand the difficulties of the all too short working lifespan of our closest hunting partners - our dogs. Pride is aptly named - clearly. All the best to you both.
-Dave

Thanks Dave. I talked with my friend and Pride's breeder last night (Gary Ruppel) about what to expect next year. He told me that Pride "will tell me when it's over". Sadly, I think he is hinting that our days in the field together might be coming to an end. Like Ruby, Pride will be pampered as he enters his "golden" years.

I sure hope you can successfully rehab Ruby, and get her back into the field next year.

My wife and I have been discussing bringing another dog into our family (along with Pride we have an 11+ year old lab who is not a gun dog). She says she is ready. It would be great to hunt Pride with a new pup...even if Pride can only go at 1/2 speed.

Good luck to you and Ruby!

THanks Pride's-Dad. One question for you: would you be interested in trading wives? :D
We live in a small house in the city, so my wife won't hear of pup#2... I'll keep working on her!
-Dave

Good one Dave. I was living in bizzarro world yesterday. Beyond the "let's get a third dog" she told me to head east for one more hunt! I thought she may have met Louise Shockey recenly?

BTW: The weather kept me on the job. I regret it.

Back