Our best ever

beach004

This is my sixth year hunting in South Dakota, each time flying out from North Carolina; this was the best. With my son-in-law and the best man from his wedding (who had never shot at a live bird before) we hunted five days, all but one of them without a dog, and were delighted to put 26 birds in the bag. The shirtsleeve weather probably helped (it vanished in a cloud of snow as we flew out); but really it was due to the kindness of Forum friends. Reddog called me out of the blue and invited us to leave the Platte area and hunt with him on private land west of the river--with his great dog! We hunted what I have learned to call smooth bromegrass--impossible without the dog--and strips of milo, where I believe at one point I saw 200 birds in the air, and was able to shoot my first double. Thank you SO much, Reddog!

Another day we joined SDJim on his acres of land, managed for birds; we were too close to a road to risk his adorable English setter, who's young and SDJim says has a fascination for the highway; but we hunted reeds around sloughs with great success, even so; just three to five of us, pushing slowly through the reeds, either randomly or toward a blocker; I don't think any pass failed to produce at least one rooster flush, regardless of the time of day; some put up 50 or more.

One night my young companions left me to hunt a mile of ditch; it was dead calm (in South Dakota??), and as it grew dark, the grasslands on either side of me sounded for all the world like a henhouse--cackling on every side, dozens and dozens of birds; couldn't shoot, of course; but it was such a thrill just to be there and listen to that sound.

I'll be 74 next year; but I reserved the same week at the same B&B; God willing, I can't wait to try again!

Reddog and our first bird
IMG_5159_zpsqx1vqmkx.jpg

Slough of [non] Despond (see Pilgrim's Progress!)
IMG_5197_zpsgs48e0mr.jpg

Reddog and my double--thanks to his dog!
IMG_5169_zpslydqj5iq.jpg

Glad to hear you had a great trip! There are great people who contribute to this forum and it is always enjoyable to be able to meet them. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.

Breez and I had a great time (although short) with you and your buddies. Beach and I have been trying to hookup for a couple years,but things have seemed to get in the way.it worked out this year,although i didn't activate a license for a 4 hour hunt . I'd been fishing for a couple days and thought I'd call and seeif they wanted to see some new territory. I had to rush home for my grand daughters 2nd birthday party,so we only got to hunt from 10 to 2, but I think they got a taste of west river scenery.

Were you able to find someone to cook the walleyes? :)

I was also able to share my cabin with another forum member onSaturday night.

Jimmy Freeman came to visit,and we had fresh walleyes,fried potatoes,and cream style corn for supper while discussing the marvelous hunting opportunities in SD.

This is my sixth year hunting in South Dakota, each time flying out from North Carolina; this was the best. With my son-in-law and the best man from his wedding (who had never shot at a live bird before) we hunted five days, all but one of them without a dog, and were delighted to put 26 birds in the bag. The shirtsleeve weather probably helped (it vanished in a cloud of snow as we flew out); but really it was due to the kindness of Forum friends. Reddog called me out of the blue and invited us to leave the Platte area and hunt with him on private land west of the river--with his great dog! We hunted what I have learned to call smooth bromegrass--impossible without the dog--and strips of milo, where I believe at one point I saw 200 birds in the air, and was able to shoot my first double. Thank you SO much, Reddog!

Another day we joined SDJim on his acres of land, managed for birds; we were too close to a road to risk his adorable English setter, who's young and SDJim says has a fascination for the highway; but we hunted reeds around sloughs with great success, even so; just three to five of us, pushing slowly through the reeds, either randomly or toward a blocker; I don't think any pass failed to produce at least one rooster flush, regardless of the time of day; some put up 50 or more.

One night my young companions left me to hunt a mile of ditch; it was dead calm (in South Dakota??), and as it grew dark, the grasslands on either side of me sounded for all the world like a henhouse--cackling on every side, dozens and dozens of birds; couldn't shoot, of course; but it was such a thrill just to be there and listen to that sound.

I'll be 74 next year; but I reserved the same week at the same B&B; God willing, I can't wait to try again!

Reddog and our first bird
IMG_5159_zpsqx1vqmkx.jpg

Slough of [non] Despond (see Pilgrim's Progress!)
IMG_5197_zpsgs48e0mr.jpg

Reddog and my double--thanks to his dog!
IMG_5169_zpslydqj5iq.jpg

Great report. Made me smile all the way back here in Wisconsin. Hunting wth both of those guys is both a present and a privilege. Both of them are selfless and more interested in who they hunt with and making sure they have a good hunt than with then their own hunt. Guys like Reddog and Sdjim are good friends and rare finds in a world that seems to be on the slide.

Great report. Made me smile all the way back here in Wisconsin. Hunting wth both of those guys is both a present and a privilege. Both of them are selfless and more interested in who they hunt with and making sure they have a good hunt than with then their own hunt. Guys like Reddog and Sdjim are good friends and rare finds in a world that seems to be on the slide.

Thank you!

Forum friends

Couldn't agree more, 519; I have benefited from so many folks on this Forum, not just the ones like reddog, SDJim and tanner10 with whom I've been able to hunt, but others who have shared tips and even honeyholes. I've tried to do the same, with what little I can offer.

Reddog, we had a farmer let us hunt, to whom we felt a debt; the walleyes found a home! Thanks for the gift; it takes a hardy soul to get out there and catch those things, this time of year in South Dakota. I'm looking out the window at the Ashley River in Charleston, SC; a porpoise just nosed up and down, and we are looking at the 70's by afternoon; maybe try for some catfish.
And start up walking, every day, miles; maybe there'll be another South Dakota pheasant season for me.

Reddog, we had a farmer let us hunt, to whom we felt a debt; the walleyes found a home! Thanks for the gift; it takes a hardy soul to get out there and catch those things, this time of year in South Dakota.

COOL! Even better! Ive always said, they can get cash from anyone and spend it, but fresh walleyes they remember a long, long time!

Couldn't agree more, 519; I have benefited from so many folks on this Forum, not just the ones like reddog, SDJim and tanner10 with whom I've been able to hunt, but others who have shared tips and even honeyholes. I've tried to do the same, with what little I can offer.

Reddog, we had a farmer let us hunt, to whom we felt a debt; the walleyes found a home! Thanks for the gift; it takes a hardy soul to get out there and catch those things, this time of year in South Dakota. I'm looking out the window at the Ashley River in Charleston, SC; a porpoise just nosed up and down, and we are looking at the 70's by afternoon; maybe try for some catfish.
And start up walking, every day, miles; maybe there'll be another South Dakota pheasant season for me.

Were pouring concrete Friday for a new detached garage, then fishing the rest of the weekend.. If that dont pan out, we'll hunt, if that dont work out, we'll do something else productive. One of these days, everything will be done, and Ill be retired out there..

Back