Organizing Gear and Dogs in Shell

Let's see how you organize all your gear and dog boxes. I specifically want to trucks with camper shells, but SUV's would good too.
I just had a shell installed and have been kicking around some ideas of how to keep everything accessible. I'm thinking a platform to put dog boxes on, cooler that can be accessed through the slider and water/equipment below the platform. Just want to see how others have organized.

I've got a shell on my truck but nothing fancy after that. Crate is strapped down. Got a 5 gallon water jug for the dog. A cooler to put the birds in. All my other gear is in the back seat of the truck. Gun storage mounted to the back of the front seats. My wingworks vest, ammo bag and a backpack with gloves, hats, socks etc. in it. Small cooler in the front floorboard with lunch & drinks. I do have a tool box in the front of the bed with all my other truck essentials like chains, ropes a jump starter box/air compressor, stuff like that. I also put 2 12v plugs back there to run a fan for the kennel in the summer and a heated mat in the extreme winter.

I drive a Ford Expedition. I took out the 3rd row seat, and use the latching points in the floor to hook a ratchet strap on to strap down the dog crate. Add a cooler for any birds I get, a Mud River dog handler's bag with all my Lab's stuff and 1st aid gear, a bag with my ammo and gear, and my shotgun on the back seat. Pretty basic, really. Next spring I want to build a 2 drawer gear box to go in the back, to hold guns, ammo, and gear, with the dog crate on top.

I just worked up a storage system under my topper. I need to take some photos and write up a post about it. I will try to do so soon.

One nice way to access everything under the shell is to install a bedslide. They slide out all the way and hold a lot of weight.

WOW--That is impressive!! Wish I had the skills to build something like that. With a few modifications it would easily hold/organize all your gear.

My First Take - Tested Great!

My buddy and I have long been discussing how to improve the functionality of the truck while having the dog boxes in the front of the rear...

I took inspiration from this one mentioned previously but made some modifications for hunting.

Just back from SD and really enjoyed it. Best part - only about $200 into it and $50 of that was sprayon bedliner for the slider.

There is a base that installs first. It has casters on it and 2x6 rails to separate sections for a drawer and gun slots. The base also has the support similar to the link above to hold the top slider on while pulled out. We've had this fully extended with dogs in kennels. 2 70ish pound dogs plus the weight of the kennels and it slides easily to get behind the dogs.

Please keep in mind - the pictures were not all taken in sequence...

This picture was taken in SD and is essentially how we hunted. Note how the gallon water just fits nicely beside the setup. This is also where birds went prior to cleaning them.
View attachment 4345

Here is the base out of the truck and a close up of the top castor that supports the sliding piece.
View attachment 4346
View attachment 4344

This shows the base in the truck and how I supported it - the 2x4 cross piece and then propped under the bedrails keep this in place when the top slider is out.
View attachment 4347

The "slider" installed. Note some loops (red) for strapping the kennels down and the eye hole locks (green) for holding the slider in-place on hills - don't ask how these became required ;)
View attachment 4348

Hopefully continued with another thread...max of 5 attachments reached.

Last edited:
My First Take - Tested Great - Continued

OK - I ended showing the top slider installed. Here is a close up of the support casters. It also shows the construction of the slider (3/4 in CDX sandwiched on the sides with 2x4s).
View attachment 4349

Here is the drawer - holds everything you need and pulls out easily. This has no sliders or anything. When extended, it is supported by the top slider.
View attachment 4350

Here the slider extended and then showing how easily it is to get behind the kennels - full use of the 6'2" bed of my Toyota Tundra.
View attachment 4351
View attachment 4352

Finally - having lunch in the field. The cooler sat behind the kennels during the AM and at lunch we use the slider as a buffet table!
View attachment 4353

Back