Optimum dog box temperatures

Hammerhead

Just wondering if anyone has ever found any research on the optimum temperature for a dog in a truck box. I have asked Vets and never really gotten an answer.

I believe it depends on the breed of dog. My GSP likes an ambient temperature somewhat warmer than my friends Black Lab. My thermostatically controlled dog house is set at 60F.
Short of a good cover and lots of bedding, I cannot control the temperature in his crate in the box of my truck. I have a remote temperature sensor installed in it to keep an eye on the temp. I get concerned when it drops below 30F for any lenght of time.

I have a ceramic heater that attaches to the outlet I have installed in the dog box. I did it because my dogs were old and the temperature in South Dakota has always been significantly colder than what they have been use to(up until last year). Both those dogs have died and now I have GSP and dog box is in a toppered truck. I have always kept it about 58-62.

Not saying this is anything other than one data point. USDA guidelines, their idea of extreme temperatures for dogs in airline type kennels I suppose.

When shipping a dog by air...

Shelter from Extreme Temperatures​

Dogs and their kennels should be protected from exposure to extreme temperature
Dogs must not be exposed to air temperatures above 85 °F (29.5 °C) or below 45 °F (7.2 °C) for a period of more than 4 hours.

There are a lot of variables and not an answer fits all.
Type of breed?
Region of country?
What is the dog used to?
Indoors or Outdoor dog?
If you can keep them dry and out of the wind, they can withstand a lot colder temperatures than we realize, I think. I have a black lab and am much more concerned about heat than cold.

Here's kind of my guidelines I've followed with mine...
In kennel under truck topper, I have a cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer so I always have the readings in the cab with me. You'll be amazed how quickly it can heat up under there.
80 degrees - start watching temp because it may not take long to get into 90s.
90 degrees - he's not back there.
Cold - I've never had to worry about it. Kennel with an insulated cover over it and their body heat keeps it warm. When on hunting trips and he sleeps in it overnight and it's down well below freezing, there's condensation in the topper in the mornings and steam coming out of his kennel when I unzip it in the morning. One time it got down to -20 air temp, -45 wind chill overnight, and I also wrapped a thick heavy shipping/moving type blanket over the kennel and he was very warm the next morning when I let him out.

In outdoor kennel/dog run at home.
Heat - no temp is really too high as long as you can keep them in an area that has proper airflow, shaded, water access.
Cold - I follow the windchill, 0 degrees in the morning I usually don't think much of it if it will warm up soon as the sun comes up. Prolonged periods of negative windchills, full day, etc., then I might keep him in the garage or do garage in the morning, then outdoors in the afternoon. I put tarps around most of the run to block the wind, insulated dog house with straw. Keep them dry and out of the wind, and there's not much to worry about.

Have no specifics, but in my experience the challenge is to keep a dog cool. It's easy to keep them warm.

Yep, lots of variables. The USDA guidelines have to consider Brachycephalic breeds include Bulldogs (French and English), Boxer Dogs, Boston Terriers, Pekingese, etc. that really have problems in hot weather/confined areas like an airline crate.

For most hunting breeds the heat is more dangerous than the cold.

Back