Opening Weekend – Report from Western NE

Hedgerow

Though it goes without saying, it's been a tough season thus far. My wife and I were unable to make opening day but we hunted the two days following the season opener (Sunday/Monday). We were in the panhandle, and had our sights set on a few locations where we had done well in the past. The weather was good - 20s early, warmed up into the low 50s in the afternoons. There was no wind to speak of.

22gFokW.jpg

Our first stop on day 1 was such a good location - food, water, cover - it has it all. Except for birds. We walked the area and had good dog work but we didn't see or move one single bird. I should note that we had our 3 year old female GWP (Julep) and our 6 month old male (Sioux). We ran Julep on the first few passes then finally let the puppy out on a check cord to get him some time in the field. Honestly, I was really surprised that we didn't even encounter one bird. I won't go so far as to say I was shocked but I was pretty damn surprised. I did find (and pick up) some new spent shells so I know someone had at least a few shots on opening day in the area but it was barren the day we hunted it. Bummer.

Back to the truck and onto the next spot. We had another place in mind where we had done well last year but wanted to check out a few new (to us) places on the way. We made at least three stops to check out new areas and did hunt each. The cover was great and there was food nearby (cut corn) but again, zero birds. I wasn't too concerned because we were on the way to the honey hole.

As soon as we pulled in we decided to only run the older dog, thinking we'd definitely get into birds in this area. The puppy was not happy about being left in the crate again..such is life. We started walking the area and it didn't appear initially that it had been hunted. No footprints or spent shells. Good signs. It's a long narrow section and about halfway through, we started to get into some trees, which had held birds in the past. We approached a large juniper and Julep got really, really birdy. My wife was walking towards her and all of the suddent a hen flushed and literally almost hit my wife in the head - she had to quickly duck to not get hit. Of course I was thinking that there was a rooster in there that Julep was locked into, and I was ready to shoot. As I approached, I could see that the dog wasn't really holding but rather doing this sort of back and forth step but also moving in and out towards the bird. At this point, I started to think that it wasn't a bird and saw a flash of long black and white hair that looked similar to Julep's coat but it was longer.

I immediately realized that she'd found a skunk. I started yelling for her to come and she did not want to leave the critter yet I eventually got her to come to me but not before she got a full facial spray. And, I do mean an adult portion. She was covered and reeked. If your dog hasn't yet been sprayed by a skunk, it's really something. It was our first time, and I could not believe how powerful the scent actually is when you're up close and personal. It's one thing to hit a skunk with your car or pass a dead one along the road but it's entirely another thing when your dog is covered in the oily spray. Just unreal. It made for a long walk back to the truck.

jtxFg1k.jpg

Given that this was our first skunk encounter, we were entirely unprepared to deal with it (lesson learned). As we walked back to the truck, we began to formulate our plan. We decided to empty the back of the truck, put all the gear in the back of the cab, put Julep in the crate, and have Sioux ride in my wife's lap to the nearest town where we could get some supplies to deal with the mess.

QY9wLnh.jpg

It was about an hour ride, and Julep was not happy - neither were we.

rk9Da98.jpg

The puppy on the other hand was in heaven...riding in mom's lap for an hour.

DCH9BjW.jpg

Given that we had an hour to figure out what to do, my wife discovered that there was a ranch supply store in the closest town that had Skouts Honor, which, according to the interwebs, was the solution.

oC1fCCK.jpg

We bought two bottles ($12 ea), and then headed to a hardware store to get 5 gallon bucket and a spray bottle (recommeded on the internet to make application easier). We also got some long dishwashing gloves to try to keep the oil off us. We located a car wash and began the process of cleaning up the dog. We followed the directions on the bottle and filled the bucket at the car wash to faciliate the necessary rinsing. I'll be honest - I didn't think the Skouts Honor would work but it was incredible. It litereally knocked out all of the smell except for what was on her e-collar and regular collar. The oil just didn't want to come off those items. We later tried real dishsoap which did help but the tincture of time is what really worked for those items.

3SCOQGk.jpg

It's amazing how many people at the car wash said, "get some tomato juice!" According to the internet, it doesn't really work and we didn't try it.

Needless to say, our afternoon was shot. All of us - dogs included - had the wind taken out of our sails. My wife was ready to pull the plug and head home (~2.5 hrs) but I wanted to stay. Hell, we were already there, we had gotten the dog mostly clean, what did we have to lose? The decision was made to move to a different part of the state, spend the night, and hit some areas we'd hit in the past.

We got an early start on Sunday and did a lot of walking. Both dogs seemed to be glad to be back in the field but despite our efforts, we didn't see any birds. Zero, zilch, nada.

rDGKQEl.jpg

I had a feeling that it was going to be a tough season but these few days confirmed that it is indeed a bad season. Top that off with the skunk, and it could be chalked up as a total bust of a hunt. That said, my wife and I both just enjoy getting out with the dogs, and the silver lining is that we are always learning every time we're out in the field. This time we got a real education in skunk spray and now know how to deal with it (we're open to suggestions if there are better methods than what we used), and we found some new areas to check out in the future.

Pheasants - 1
Skunk - 1
Hunters - 0

Last edited:
Though it goes without saying, it's been a tough season thus far. My wife and I were unable to make opening day but we hunted the two days following the season opener (Sunday/Monday). We were in the panhandle, and had our sights set on a few locations where we had done well in the past. The weather was good - 20s early, warmed up into the low 50s in the afternoons. There was no wind to speak of.

22gFokW.jpg

Our first stop on day 1 was such a good location - food, water, cover - it has it all. Except for birds. We walked the area and had good dog work but we didn't see or move one single bird. I should note that we had our 3 year old female GWP (Julep) and our 6 month old male (Sioux). We ran Julep on the first few passes then finally let the puppy out on a check cord to get him some time in the field. Honestly, I was really surprised that we didn't even encounter one bird. I won't go so far as to say I was shocked but I was pretty damn surprised. I did find (and pick up) some new spent shells so I know someone had at least a few shots on opening day in the area but it was barren the day we hunted it. Bummer.

Back to the truck and onto the next spot. We had another place in mind where we had done well last year but wanted to check out a few new (to us) places on the way. We made at least three stops to check out new areas and did hunt each. The cover was great and there was food nearby (cut corn) but again, zero birds. I wasn't too concerned because we were on the way to the honey hole.

As soon as we pulled in we decided to only run the older dog, thinking we'd definitely get into birds in this area. The puppy was not happy about being left in the crate again..such is life. We started walking the area and it didn't appear initially that it had been hunted. No footprints or spent shells. Good signs. It's a long narrow section and about halfway through, we started to get into some trees, which had held birds in the past. We approached a large juniper and Julep got really, really birdy. My wife was walking towards her and all of the suddent a hen flushed and literally almost hit my wife in the head - she had to quickly duck to not get hit. Of course I was thinking that there was a rooster in there that Julep was locked into, and I was ready to shoot. As I approached, I could see that the dog wasn't really holding but rather doing this sort of back and forth step but also moving in and out towards the bird. At this point, I started to think that it wasn't a bird and saw a flash of long black and white hair that looked similar to Julep's coat but it was longer.

I immediately realized that she'd found a skunk. I started yelling for her to come and she did not want to leave the critter yet I eventually got her to come to me but not before she got a full facial spray. And, I do mean an adult portion. She was covered and reeked. If your dog hasn't yet been sprayed by a skunk, it's really something. It was ours first time, and I could not believe how powerful the scent actually is when you're up close and personal. It's one thing to hit a skunk with your car or pass a dead one along the road but it's entirely another thing when your dog is covered in the oily spray. Just unreal. It made for a long walk back to the truck.

jtxFg1k.jpg

Given that this was our first skunk encounter, we were entirely unprepared to deal with it (lesson learned). As we walked back to the truck, we began to formulate our plan. We decided to empty the back of the truck, put all the gear in the back of the cab, put Julep in the crate, and have Sioux ride in my wife's lap to the nearest town where we could get some supplies to deal with the mess.

QY9wLnh.jpg

rk9Da98.jpg

DCH9BjW.jpg

Given that we had an hour to figure out what to do, my wife discovered that there was a ranch supply store in the closest town that had Skouts Honor, which, according to the interwebs, was the solution.

oC1fCCK.jpg

We bought two bottles ($12 ea), and then headed to a hardware store to get 5 gallon bucket and a spray bottle (recommeded on the internet to make application easier). We also got some long dishwashing gloves to try to keep the oil off us. We located a car wash and began the process of cleaning up the dog. We followed the directions on the bottle and filled the bucket at the car wash to faciliate the necessary rinsing. I'll be honest - I didn't think the Skouts Honor would work but it was incredible. It litereally knocked out all of the smell except for what was on her e-collar and regular collar. The oil just didn't want to come off those items. We later tried real dishsoap which did help but the tincture of time is what really worked for those items.

3SCOQGk.jpg

It's amazing how many people at the car wash said, "get some tomato juice!" According to the internet, it doesn't really work and we didn't try it.

Needless to say, our afternoon was shot. All of us - dogs included - had the wind taken out of our sails. My wife was ready to pull the plug and head home (~2.5 hrs) but I wanted to stay. Hell, we were already there, we had gotten the dog mostly clean, what did we have to lose? The decision was made to move to a different part of the state, spend the night, and hit some areas we'd hit in the past.

We got an early start on Sunday and did a lot of walking. Both dogs seemed to be glad to be back in the field but despite our efforts, we didn't see any birds. Zero, zilch, nada.

rDGKQEl.jpg

I had a feeling that it was going to be a tough season but these few days confirmed that it is indeed a bad season. Top that off with the skunk, and it could be chalked up as a total bust of a hunt. That said, my wife and I both just enjoy getting out with the dogs, and the silver lining is that we are always learning every time we're out in the field. This time we got a real education in skunk spray and now know how to deal with it (we're open to suggestions if there are better methods than what we used), and we found some new areas to check out in the future.

Pheasants - 1
Skunk - 1
Hunters - 0
If it any consolation, Thats one of the best story's I've read on here with no bird kills. Good looking dogs! The pic of your wife and pup is priceless!

Good report, interesting tale, great pics. Always fun to read about other trips. Thanks for the heads up on the Skouts Honor.

My group has had several skunk encounters over the years. Worst/funniest one was a Lab on point in waist high, very thick grassy cover. No way to see down to the ground. Owner walked in adn waited a bit, no bird. Owner starts kicking around in front of the dog and boots a skunk right in the keister. Man and dog thoroughly soaked. We did the same thing you did, emptied the back of the truck and put both of them in there, drove back to camp and started cleaning them up.

We travel with the hydrogen peroxide/dawn dish soap/baking soda combo. It seems to work pretty well IF you do two washdowns. I also carry Skunk Off Shampoo and the Soaker as well as Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover. These are also two washdown treatments.

I'm going to add your Skouts Honor to the kit. Never have enough. One trip we had 5 skunked dogs in 4 days. One of those dogs twice. You'd think they'd figure it out but they don't.

We travel with the hydrogen peroxide/dawn dish soap/baking soda combo.
That's also my plan. I have a tupperware-type jug with a quart of peroxide, a small bottle of Dawn, and ziplock baggie with 1/4 cup of white powder (officer, I swear it's baking soda!), and a rag for application. Mix it up in the jug, apply with the rag, wait a few minutes and rinse. I've never had to use it on a hunt, but I've had dogs skunked 3 times in my neighborhood and once on a training outing.

I've heard of people using this mixture on Alpha collars, but I'm not going to risk it. I used unused coffee grounds when my alpha collar got skunked along with the dog. I bought the cheapest can of ground coffee big enough for the collar and strap. I poured out about half the grounds into a bowl and set them aside. Then I took the electronic part off of the strap and nestled both in the can. Then poured the set-aside grounds over the top. Shook it gently to settle the coffee around the stuff, and let it sit in the garage for about 3 days. The skunk smell was almost undetectable.

I've never heard of Skouts Honor. Thanks for the tip. I wish your Nebraska trip had been more productive. My friends and I decided to skip Nebraska this year. It seems that was the right decision.

I have done the dish soap,peroxide,baking soda combo with decent results. But will add skouts to the traveling kit. Had one dog hit 5 times in one day once in SD and she could still find pheasants. I too skipped Nebraska this year, it was very poor last year and there were more birds farther north.

I wonder if that area received hail early in the year, that took most of the birds out, as you say, there had been birds there in the past. Did you happen to run to any locals to ask about the lack of birds? Even with hot & dry conditions, I you expect some carry over birds. Maybe public ground just gets so much pressure, tough conditions, really makes a huge difference. Guessing you will drive a different direction for your next outing. Hope you can find some birds out there. Where are you from, it didn't show up in your profile. Look forward to reading about your next try.

I like the name Sioux for a male dog, but a year and a half ago, I couldn't get the rest of the family behind naming our new pup that. I thought it would be unique, but it seems it wasn't, even back then. Single syllable and easy to yell when needed.

I wonder if that area received hail early in the year, that took most of the birds out, as you say, there had been birds there in the past. Did you happen to run to any locals to ask about the lack of birds? Even with hot & dry conditions, I you expect some carry over birds. Maybe public ground just gets so much pressure, tough conditions, really makes a huge difference. Guessing you will drive a different direction for your next outing. Hope you can find some birds out there. Where are you from, it didn't show up in your profile. Look forward to reading about your next try.

I like the name Sioux for a male dog, but a year and a half ago, I couldn't get the rest of the family behind naming our new pup that. I thought it would be unique, but it seems it wasn't, even back then. Single syllable and easy to yell when needed.
We didn't run into any locals to ask but these areas are a good hour+ from the nearest sizable town so I don't think they get heavy pressure but I could be entirely wrong. That said, we've never even seen any other hunters on the properties we hunted on this last trip. We did a trip over Thanksgiving and found some birds (report inbound), which was great but the hunting was still tough.

We live in Colorado...in the foothills.

My wife was the one behind the name Sioux. The rest of us were on board but it was really her pick. For us, it just connects in so many ways, it was really the only choice.

My wife was the one behind the name Sioux. The rest of us were on board but it was really her pick. For us, it just connects in so many ways, it was really the only choice.
We have an abundance of "Sioux" here too, I am close to: Sioux City, Sioux Falls, Sioux County, the Little Sioux River, the Big Sioux River, Little Sioux Park, etc...no Sioux in me that I know of. When I was bouncing that name off friends, one said, his step son had a dog named Sioux...so it was as unusual as I imagined.

Living in CO, I see why you tried W NE, and it had worked before. About 10 hours east (and a bit north) of you, and you're in my area. I have seen birds here. CO does have some pheasants, right?

@remy3424 CO does have pheasant hunting but it’s been worse (public land anyway) than NE the past few years IMO (drought, little real CRP, everything cut to nothing, etc.). Plus, there are far fewer hunters in western Nebraska than there are in eastern Colorado in my experience.

If I’m gonna walk around carrying a gun and watch my dog look for birds I’d rather do it with a lot less people around…

I hope that habitat situation improves for you in CO....and NE, I thought maybe eastern NE was the dry part of the state this year...thought the western side was usually about a desert.

Thanks for sharing! I am going to pick up a couple bottles of that. Sorry to hear about your bird numbers. If you ever make it as far as Northeast NE, give me a shout. I should be able to put you on birds.

22gFokW.jpg

I immediately realized that she'd found a skunk. I started yelling for her to come and she did not want to leave the critter yet I eventually got her to come to me but not before she got a full facial spray. And, I do mean an adult portion. She was covered and reeked. If your dog hasn't yet been sprayed by a skunk, it's really something. It was our first time, and I could not believe how powerful the scent actually is when you're up close and personal. It's one thing to hit a skunk with your car or pass a dead one along the road but it's entirely another thing when your dog is covered in the oily spray. Just unreal. It made for a long walk back to the truck.

jtxFg1k.jpg

QY9wLnh.jpg

rk9Da98.jpg

DCH9BjW.jpg

oC1fCCK.jpg

3SCOQGk.jpg

rDGKQEl.jpg

Pheasants - 1
Skunk - 1
Hunters - 0
Great article and pics. The skunk thing is real and happened to my buddies son opening weekend. We used the peroxide, Dawn Dish soap and baking soda to get the dog presentable.
I have hunted many areas in western Nebraska that have it all, cover, food, water nearby but no birds! I killed two this year and lost another and have probably went 20 times. I’m retired so I take the girls and just hit public spots, they like to go even if we don’t get anything. I have seen a few more later but the snow we had last week and now this -45* WC can’t be doing them any good. I hunted a spot yesterday that has always had birds and I never saw a track. Not sure what happened to them but it’s a bad year and it will be a few years before they can come back I’m afraid.
I’ve been to SD and Iowa twice and hope to hit Iowa again before the season ends just to get the girls into some birds.

Back