Opening Day Tomorrow -- Weather...yuck

JMc

Super Moderator
Opening day here in the Panhandle tomorrow. All wood guns staying in the safe. Maxus and Benelli M1 headed to the field. It's suppose to rain/snow/sleet/hail.

The 'Tazmeister' is ready to go...Sounds like fun!

any luck?

Jim,

Any luck this weekend? Not asking for locations, just wondering if anyone found any birds?

Thanks.
Joe

Welcome to the forum Joe...

We did see more birds than I expected but nothing like the past. Busted hens all day but very few roosters and when we did, they were getting out quick and flying long. It was very cold Saturday with a icy rain and 30 mph winds so it was not a fun day. Shot clays that afternoon just to warm up the barrels. Sunday was colder but drier and no wind. Birds were feeding late and stayed mostly around habitat breaks and heavy cover.

The roosters that have survived are wise and big. Hopefully, with the number of hens we saw, the next year may be better. I'll try to chase them around next weekend and will post an update.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the update. I am scheduled to meet some friends in Stratford this weekend and trying to decide if it is worth the drive from DFW (though I guess it always beats working).

3-4 inches of snow here in Fritch today and I'm 70 miles south of Stratford (my alma mater).

As for "worth it"...what's better than a good pheasant hunt? C'mon Man...:)

Me coming that way

Sent a message to you at your office.did you not receive?
Coming solo to Amarillo and checking if anyone can show me around for a hunt. I'm in Charleston SC and would like to get in on some cranes too.Saw an outfit for cranes 98% success rate.I'll be there 19th-23rd 0r 24th then back to Dallas to do Christmas.
RSVP
Jay

I will be out of town on the dates you will be here. My three boys all live in East Texas and 'mom' says so...

I don't know of any Crane guides but will check around and try to get back to you. If for some reason, we leave later I'll give you a shout and go from there.

Jim

I've heard that as well; best of luck in Stratford. That's my high school alma mater and old stomping grounds. I have had many great hunts there.

Low Pheasant Count?

Do they buy cranes and geese too?

JUST KIDDING.
Do they have a good operation ?
Is the Antelope a good hunt for $1500 for two days? (next fall)

I have a place to hunt for Pheasant unguided.
Stratford have any Pheasants?

Back