Opening Day 2015

chriswhite22

Hey guys, I was wondering how things went for the MO folks. I hit some public in the northeast part of the state and was happy with the birds I saw, but terrified by the number of hunters!?! Wow, there was a lot. I bet that had a lot to do with the numbers observed, but too many for my liking (selfishly speaking). It's good to see the involvement from others though. I ended the day with 1 pheasant (lost a cripple :mad: ) and bagged 2 quail.

Hunted Iowa Sat and Sun and Sat had my quickest limit in years. Walked in front of the dog twice to multiple rooster flushes. Put up 4 in one bunch and only knocked one down. It was a fun hunt. Sun morning had 2 down in a couple of hours and worked my partners new pup to little effect the rest of the day. hunted our way south this morning and put up 2 roosters quick this morning in mo, one came home. Stopped at a previous quail hot spot and found one quail hat flushed into a cedar tree. Not a great Mo start for me, but the season has been good with a ND and IA start. Dog needs a rest he's hunted hard the last 6 of 10 days.

Hunted NW MO yesterday, warm-ish and windy. I hunt with a lab. It was our first day out of the season.

Flushed 3 medium sized covies on private ground in under an hour, ended up taking 5. Spent the afternoon at Bilby and only put up 2 hens that flushed wild.

Last edited:
Yeah, I decided to make the trip northwest this weekend and try some public. I walked a ton, but managed to bag 3 pheasant and 3 quail (Friday evening through Sunday morning). I did hunt Bilby and was surprised by the lack of numbers based on the forecast. I view it as pretty similar pheasant numbers than any of the last 4 years, but quail seem to have done great. I've seen a lot of them this year no matter where I hunt. It's always a great time.

Back