Opener

Dcup

Well I dont know about everyone else in Iowa, but our hunt was terrible. We hunted 3 different areas and only kicked up one hen all day. Granted there was about 70% of the corn that was still yet to picked. There were a few farmers getting into the field about midday, but most were finishing up the remaining beans. Most of the corn fields were probably too wet.

How was everyone else's hunt? We heard some gunshots about 9-10 am, but that was really about all the shooting we even heard. Usually on opening day we hear tons of shooting around the area that we always open with.

Opening day

Dont know were you were at but are group had the same luck, that is none.Hopefully it will get better when the corn is out, we seen some birds but they all were of the hen variety talked to some guys who got a couple. It can only get better i hope around here central Ia.

I had a good opening day. Saw a dosen or so birds shot and shot a couple. Oh yea, I was hunting in Minnesota. Tommorow I'll try South Dakota. :eek:

Last edited:
Went out again this morning, this time by myself and my dog and had better luck. Didnt shoot anyhting, but saw one rooster get up about 60 yards out. First year dog tracked a hen and it flushed wildly within 10 feet.

I think I am going to take off a couple of weeks from pheasant hunting and duck hunt. Give the farmers some time to get corn out and for temperatures to drop.

I had good luck both Sat snd Sun. By the end of next week the hunting should be pretty good as the crops are coming out fast. Should be another great year.

Hunted a local place in Cedar rapids surrounded by corn, a small spot that takes about an hour to walk. We flushed 3 and killed one. Thursday will be my next day out due to work and classes but cant wait.

Cedar Rapids Areas

I am looking forward to getting to the area next week. Last year was tough with all the flooding. How have the bird numbers looked? Has it been wet...wondering if the farmers are able to get to the corn?

Back