Opener

Hello all ... newbie to the site ... long-time lurker first-time poster ...

Me and my group will be going out around Burlington as we have for years. We are participating in the Rooster Roundup this year for the first time though. Looking forward to it. Scouting out there a couple weeks ago was pretty dismal. Habitat looked decent but didn't see one single bird in a day of poking around. But a couple days in the field with some friends beats a couple days doing yard work anytime!

I'll be missing the opener for the first time in 20 years. I will be in Nebraska on an archery deer/bird hunting trip for 10 days. I hope everyone has a safe and fun opening day. Try and leave a few birds for me to chase later in the season!

I'll be hunting quail on my buddies ranch in Pueblo county. Spent all of muzzleloader and part of rifle season chasing deer in kit Carson county and bird numbers are terrible

Yeah, I guess this weekend out in Burlington will be more about getting my 17month old pointing lab out (he has his CPR title, but not on wild birds yet) and my buddies younger black lab pointing lab pup following along with my son. Will enjoy the breakfast and burn some shoe leather and gas....

Also, my son wanted his girlfriend to go with us and we are staying in a motel. I was like, NO!!

This will be a warm up for Kansas on the 22nd of November...:thumbsup::cheers:

Greg

Last edited:
Also, my son wanted his girlfriend to go with us and we are staying in a motel. I was like, NO!!

Greg

Maybe bring your son's gf along when you can arrange for deluxe accommodations like a "ToughShed bunkhouse" with port-a-potty outside. :laugh:

Tough situation if there is no adult female coming along also. NO is probably the best answer in that situation. On the flip side its nice to hear that she had an interest in going along. May work out better if you could take them both out for a one day hunt sometime.

Good luck on Sat

I am going to miss the opener this year as I have volunteered to help my wife with a charity event both Saturday and Sunday. I do plan on getting out during the week after the opener as there won't be as much traffic in the fields. I have done the Rooster Round-up in the past and am still thinking about it. I too like that the money goes back into the community we hunt. I just have to figure out how to get my stuff from them opening day. If anyone wants to pick mine up for me and I will meet you latter to retrieve let me know. Thanks. Be Safe out there and as the weekend is going to be warm, rest and cool your dogs as they won't stop. Enjoy and Good Luck.

I am going to miss the opener this year as I have volunteered to help my wife with a charity event both Saturday and Sunday. I do plan on getting out during the week after the opener as there won't be as much traffic in the fields. I have done the Rooster Round-up in the past and am still thinking about it. I too like that the money goes back into the community we hunt. I just have to figure out how to get my stuff from them opening day. If anyone wants to pick mine up for me and I will meet you latter to retrieve let me know. Thanks. Be Safe out there and as the weekend is going to be warm, rest and cool your dogs as they won't stop. Enjoy and Good Luck.

I could pick your stuff up, I live down in Colorado Springs. I have had our hotel reservations at Chaparral Motor Inn for over a month (back when it was $65 a night :thumbsup:)

See y'all out in the field....

Greg

retrvrman:

Thank you I do appreciate to offer, but I checked into it on-line and they will hold the packet for me at the Comfort Inn. They went on-line this year so I hope that it helps them with participant numbers. Good luck

Roger that....not looking forward to the warm weather. I don't know what happened to the cold temps....

I guess it will be short sleeves come lunchtime and most likely a short day on Saturday.

Greg

Back