Opener private CRP land

I think Y'all are over reacting.

GaryM, If you're worried about what everyone is telling you about the first time with the new dog? Take your dog to a preserve and turn it loose and shoot a few birds over it. Then that opening day thing is nothing like the horror stories we all just read. I can't imagine not shooting over my dog a few times before a real wild bird hunt.
I prepared mine for all of the above leading up to her first wild bird/group hunt. She didn't even know the other dogs were out there when we went. She was there to hunt. Period. If she handles the way shes supposed to, the other dogs and distractions shouldn't matter.

The dog isn't supposed to handle it. The owner is supposed to teach it.

The dog isn't supposed to handle it. The owner is supposed to teach it.

I meant the dog should have obedience down before it goes out there. Handling as in doing what it's told: Sit, come, stay, heel etc....that's what I meant by "if the dog handles..." I didn't have to spend an entire season with just me and my dog to be able to hunt with other dogs and buddies. My dogs are around people, other dogs and guns for several months before we go on our first hunt. My dogs have birds in their mouths at 12 weeks at the latest....live birds. When late October rolls around they are looking for birds.

I meant the dog should have obedience down before it goes out there. Handling as in doing what it's told: Sit, come, stay, heel etc....that's what I meant by "if the dog handles..." I didn't have to spend an entire season with just me and my dog to be able to hunt with other dogs and buddies. My dogs are around people, other dogs and guns for several months before we go on our first hunt. My dogs have birds in their mouths at 12 weeks at the latest....live birds. When late October rolls around they are looking for birds.

Good enough. We all have different ideas and methods about training and hunting. We also have different standards and criteria as to what a great hunting dog should be. What is a great dog to some, others would not enter the field with. Good luck this year! I usually do bird intro with a live clipped wing pigeon at 5 or 6 weeks with a litter. If I have purchased a puppy they get a live bird at 7 weeks. At 12 weeks they are running short marks in the field with a gunner.

Last edited:
Good enough. We all have different ideas and methods about training and hunting. We also have different standards and criteria as to what a great hunting dog should be. What is a great dog to some, others would not enter the field with. Good luck this year! I usually do bird intro with a live clipped wing pigeon at 5 or 6 weeks with a litter. If I have purchased a puppy they get a live bird at 7 weeks. At 12 weeks they are running short marks in the field with a gunner.

Love it! Good luck to you as well!

How's it looking in your area so far? I hunted Kansas for the first time in January. I was pleasantly surprised. Felt some of the areas I hunted were as good as anywhere I've been. People were very welcoming. Hope to get back soon

Love it! Good luck to you as well!

How's it looking in your area so far? I hunted Kansas for the first time in January. I was pleasantly surprised. Felt some of the areas I hunted were as good as anywhere I've been. People were very welcoming. Hope to get back soon

Most folks I’ve talked to out west have reported a good hatch this year, but it depends on who you talk to and where you are.

i think there is some pretty good advice here.......first year pup, one man, one dog, first season. when you run into issues (and you will) you will want to correct or direct dog by yourself with no distractions (like a bunch of hunters yelling and guns going off at once; strange dogs running around him will be huge distraction).
i have never seen a ready made, faultless dog right out of the box...give the pup a chance to process what he needs to be successful and avoid sensory overload. good luck.....turn him loose and be quiet, let him learn in a good environment....plenty of time to gang hunt and show him off later.

I'm really pleased with how he did with some pen-raised chukars we set out last weekend.

Back